Coming soon to a CoinTalk near you...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by byrd740, Sep 20, 2009.

1. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Alright, I will start with last Wednesday. I got an email from a great dealer/friend of mine(whose name I will leave out for privacy reasons). He said "You will not believe what I got today! You just have to come and spend a day, or at least a few hours, with me to check it out!" Well, short story shorter, today he came to visit me at my shop and suprised me with two currency albums. One full of error/oddities and another full of large notes. I am almost certain that there are 20 bills per book, but the error/oddities had some doubled up. I believe total about 50-60 bills. I could not help but drool over them, luckily they were in plastic.:D There was a one and two dollar educational note, bison note, "chief" five dollar bill and soooooo many other gems. All were in fine or better. I will spend about 6 hours this Wednesday to, hopefully, photgraph the collection. Oh, and to top of the collection, he has a one dollar bill with serial number 77777777. He has been offered over $1000 for it, but he says that he doesn't believe he wants to sell it. I would hope if anyone has heard of my friend that bought this collection to please refrain from mentioning his name here because he very much appreciates his privacy. But I do have permission to photograph and discuss his collection as long as I don't mention his name. That is all I will say for now, but I will get a chance to look over the collection more later this week, and I will post as soon as I get the pictures ready. It may be as late as next Tuesday. I would post sooner but also this week I have to train for becoming a car emmision inspector.:D Cheers!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

wow, what a chance of a lifetime to see a folder full of large size notes!!!! what luck you have to have a friend like that!!! I look forward to see the fruits of your photography :)

4. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Wow sounds great! I am surprised at the offers on that 7777... note! Cant wait for pics:bigeyes:

5. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Byrd....
    I unserstand your excitement...fantastic.

You mentioned fine or better...as for pricing guide I would suggest Heritage past auctions as a good reference. Carefully inspect the notes and have a good book such as the Comprehensive Catalog of U.S. Paper Money handy.

Signatures always play an important role and any with Rosecrans/Nebecker will have xtra appeal.
    Good luck and I, like others will be waiting to see the images. :thumb:

RickieB

6. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I guess I was a little too excited and still in shock about it last night, but I said all were fine or better, but I should have said most are fine or better. If I remember correctly, the educational note was VG. But, here is the email he sent me. He forgot to mention the large size notes, so that was a complete suprise when he showed them to me. I cropped some of the email because it pertained to nothing about the subject.
    I know this is the PM forum but, what he mentions first is a Dansco 7070 complete all BU. Plus several complete sets like a Buffalo Nickel, SLQ, Commerative halves and some more. I haven't seen any coins yet but of course I have glanced at the PM. I will keep the sigs in mind. Anything else I should be looking for?

7. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Yes... quite a bit actually depending on the notes...stars, Mules, errors, Nationals, SN's heck the whole gamut so t speak.

Let us know if we can help!

RickieB

8. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

i can't wait to see them :) i like errors..

9. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

What a wonderful surprise! I can't wait to see some of the notes.

10. volker00

volker00 Coin Collecting Noob

The bill with the 77777777 serial number is totally cool.

11. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

:eat:[​IMG]:eat: -- Cannot wait to browse :D

12. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Well, it is set to see 'him' tomorrow. I attached a screenshot of the email setting it. As you can see we are men of few words.:D

Also I want to mention a fellow coin dealer's passing. I personally didn't know him, but he was well known by anyone that had even an inkling about what a coin was in this area. We all knew him by the name of Coffey. He set up a coin shop at Peachtree Peddlers in McDonough, Georgia. He has had trouble with his heart for a while now, and it finally took a hold of him. His brother will be taking up the business. He may not have been the most liked person of the crowd but he will be missed regardless.

Attached Files:

13. lewminator

lewminator Expert/Collector-US Paper

would love to see the errors myself :) is this a collection your friend is keeping or selling? keep us posted

14. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Hey folks! Sadly I didn't have enough time to photograph them all. I got a pretty good chunk of them done but no error notes. We had trouble getting pics for the first hour or two, but finally worked it out. Hopefully I will get a chance in a week or two, and get the rest done.:D I am editing the pics now and will post them on either Monday or Tuesday. Well, I guess I will see you all then! Cheers!

Also, lewminator, he said for the moment he will keep the notes and just sell the coins to make up for them.

15. That sounds like a very cool find! It must be cool for you to get to look through them all, and even better for your friend to own them all! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted