Collectable recent coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinlover, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

i was going through some common date change and thought "are there any dates that would probaly go up in value in a few years?"here is the crazy list i made up. in the cents keep the 1959 and 1960 becuase they were the first couple years of the issuen of the memorial, all memorial S mints, 1961,1962,1963,and 1969 cents, and any BU 1982 and older cents you can find. for the nickels, keep the 1960,1961,1962,1965,1967,1968D,1968S,1969S, and 1971. also save any AU 1960's nickels except the 1964 and 1964D. in the dimes save any 1969 and 1971. with quarters save the 1976,1976D, 1968D,1969,1969D1970, and 1971. :hail: in addition to this list, remember to keep all wheats, pre 1960 nickels, and pre 1965 dimes and quarters.:kewl:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

"with quarters save the 1976,1976D"

Sir, are you MAD? They were minted for two years, so the mintage is double that of the other quarters. And on top of that, everybody saved them! 1975 quarters would be nice... :-D

4. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

It is indeed a "crazy" list...unless you have these dates (just like any other minted coin) in the tops of all grades.

Good luck.

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

All pre-82 cents are worth saving right now, because eventually they'll stop the moratorium on melting them for metal, just as the govt said silver would circulate next to clad, they were busy pulling out the silver, so too are they probably recovering the pure copper cents

6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

"Low mintage" is not going to make any regular issue modern valuable.

The reason is that the mintages are simply far too high and even high attrition can't change that in the foreseeable future. Collectors also tend to focus on the low mintages and save them selectively. Take the '68-D quarter for example. Fewer than 100 million of these were made for circulation and it's the lowest mintage of all clads which actually circulated freely. After all these decades nearly half have been destroyed or lost and are gone forever. This still leaves about 50 million coins in circulation. Of these about 5 million have been pulled out by collectors in the last 9 years. More will be pulled out as the years go by and the average grade will drop. But this means there will probably be 3 or 4,000,000 nice VG and better examples in collectors' hand in twenty years. This is too high a number to get much price movement. Few of these will be VF and XF because the coins were far too worn when people started saving them. These higher grade ones would have great potential except for one thing; this is one of the most common of all clad quarters in unc and most of these are nice attractive pieces. People haven't paid much attention to clad but everyone saw that the '68-D was low mintage and some of these were set aside. This coin is more likely to be saved when mint sets are cut up as well. With more than a million nice attractive uncs the circs won't have as much demand.

Most of the potential lies in the coins that are horrid in the mint sets or don't appear in the sets at all. 1971 quarters are very unsightly in the mint sets usually. Many collectors would prefer a nice attractive XF to the poorly made and scratched up junk in the sets. There are also the '82 and '83 (as well as many other) quarters which don't appear at all in sets.

Perhaps the coins with the most potential are the varieties. These don't appear in the sets usually and THERE ARE NO ROLLS. Since there weren't BU rolls set aside the only place to find these is in circulation and high grade examples will prove extremely elusive. Even a common one like the '79 type "d" reverse will prove a daunting challenge to find in a nice attractive VF or better. These coins are simply worn and banged up now days. This date was poorly made to start with and only about 1% of these are the type "d".

I would save almost any nice attractive old clad. I don't see much point in saving ugly coins because, historically, collectors don't like ugly coins and it's unlikely they'll make an exception for clads. If you collect these you'll quickly learn that some coins are just easier to find than others. Coins like the '72-D is far easier to find in lightly worn and attractive condition than something like the '70-P. Concentrate on the toughies.

7. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

just look at the people who saved the old buffalo nickels. no body wanted them, but they saved them. alot were minted too just like these coins. i just made the list to tell what i'm saving. i just thought it could help someone. thats what i'm saving, you don't have to.:goofer:

8. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

When I go through chainge or rolls, I'm on the lookout for high quality pre-2004 examples - I don't really look at the dates otherwise. I then put them in 2x2's. Since I don't buy boxes of coins - just the occasional roll, this doesn't amount to much cost. In addition, it has to be really high quality or if it's from the 70's or before in VF+ condition before I save it.

I really don't think any generally circulating clad stuff is going to make anyone rich in the next few decades, but if they become worth anything, it'll only be the high quality/unc ones.

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Coin Hoarder

thanks coinlover, I think I might start abiding by your list
    Because I personally dont collect coins for myself, to make a profit by, I collect them for my kids/ grandkids/ great grandkids to admire and hopefully begin collecting coins themselves. For example if my grandparents had kept a couple hundred coins from their time I would really appreciate it no matter how much they were worth. Those are just my thoughts....

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Good points monkeyman. I don't collect as an investment either. I keep what I like and discard what I don't, regardless of value or mintage. Hopefully someday my kids or grandkids will enjoy them as much as I am enjoying them now. As insignificant as many see our modern coinage now, it will be appreciated generations from now, and I intend on helping that along.
    Guy~

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

The Buffalo's were alway pretty coins, and you just can't say that for modern Clads. They were also always historical, the nickel of the subway, phone and depression. So they always carried sentimental value. No so with a 1968 quarter.

and its been 70 years since the buffalo nickel.

Ruben

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The buffalos were very attractive coins even after many years of circulation. These are the coins I started collecting in 1957. Most of the other kids were collecting Lincolns but I always found the buffalos more attractive and more interesting. Of course they were also more valuable, and to me, more attractive.

But they are no more historic than a 1968 quarter. If anything they are less so since they didn't circulate as long, as wide, or as freely as a clad coin. They didn't have a sesquicentennial issue nor were they followed by dozens of different designs over a ten year period. Indeed, by 1957 they were pretty staid and most of them lacked dates.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and clads are an acquired taste. It doesn't help that the majority of clad uarters are horribly made and often badly used. Finding nice attractive specimens is difficult.

Draft saved Draft deleted