Coinstar reject bin finds

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Car10, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Car10

Car10 Senior Member

It is amazing how few people realize that the Coinstar machines have a rejected coin bin. I do very well checking the machines near me each time I'm in the area. This morning it was sixty cents Canadian,two quarters and a dime. I have had similar luck in the past. It's a great source of foreign coins as well as silver.
    Please use this thread to post pictures of, or just describe what you've found in the rejected coin bins. Happy hunting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I've found some minor foreign coins, but nothing of note. I routinely pass only 1-2 CoinStar machines, and I don't always check them. When I do, I find I have a +/- 10% chance of finding something.

4. BenjyH_2009

BenjyH_2009 Senior Member

on my metal detecting forum someone found a 1943 steel penny

5. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Ok

I've just taken up this CoinStar Checking habit.
    So far I'm up about 30 cents in various denominations. Better yet are the folks I've met using them! One dude was really a collector that was just trying to kick the habit by putting call that change behind him.

6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Can you say "Bupkus"?

On average I've looked in a reject slot 2-3 times a month for the last 15+ years, without finding a thing.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Lots of Canadian pieces, Like dimes and such!!

8. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I love checking all the coin star reject bins. Its not often we find stuff, but when we do its usually pretty fun

9. One time I found a few foreign coins and a wheat cent, but other than that nada. I keep looking though. TC

10. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

The first time I did, I got 46 cents worth of perfectly normal, current-date pocket change. No idea why it was all rejected. Since then, not a cent.

Joe

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

not one cent for tribute! Just thought I would use that saying. I did find some Canadian cents but that was awhile back. I haven't found anything lately but since your post I went out of my way to check. ;)

12. Found two silver dimes, One was a 1952 and I can't remember the other date. Unfortunatly I already had both dates in my meager silver collection.

13. cuttybce

cuttybce Junior Member

I am new to the Coinstar browsing habit....I've found mainly Canadian coins but a Coinstar near my house routinely rejects silver. In the past 10 days, I've scored a 1953-D and 1956 Roosevelt silver dime (both at once), and tonight found a 1959-D silver dime!

Persistence is key..but there are rewards to be had!

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

These coinstar machines are popping up every where!! Could be a good
    Place to find some interesting stuff!!

15. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Big coinstar find today. 24 nickels, 16 clad dimes, 3 canada dimes, 4 canada cents, 1 watch battery, 4 foreign coins, 203 cents, and 3 SILVER dimes :) It was 4 or 5 scoops to get it all out.

16. lotchange

lotchange New Member

The Coinstar near us reminds the customer to check the reject tray, twice. Yesterday I was walking by it and checked the tray and my 11 year old daughter remarked, "Did you just stick check that tray for money?"

So far I have not found anything in the reject tray.

17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

a silver dime, a couple of plastic dimes as well as a bunch of Canadian. The workers at the customer svc desk have seen me checking over the years so now they check it and I find less.

18. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Coin stars are the new pay phone. No one ever passed a pay phone without checking the coin return slot.

19. lotchange

lotchange New Member

2 quarters yesterday and this dime today.

coinstar dime.jpg

20. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Found my first silver quarter today! A '64d. Also pulled a canada dime.

21. antique_angel

antique_angel New Member

I only find Canadian coins.. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted