Coins & banknotes featuring the sport of Cricket.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aidan Work, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I know that Sri Lanka issued a commorative 5 Rupees coin in 1999 to commemorate the Cricket World Cup.It also commemorated the Sri Lankan victory in the 1996 Cricket World Cup.The Isle of Man had a 1 Pound coin depicting cricket equipment (bats,balls,& wickets),& South Africa had a 50c. coin depicting a fielder diving towards the wickets.
    Does anyone else know of any coins & banknotes that depict a cricket-related theme?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't follow cricket but I believe Australia issued a commemorative dollar last year honoring a famous player. Sorry I cant be more specific than that.

Wait, maybe I had the year wrong. Check out Australia 1996 $5 KM 311 and 312, both commemorating Sir Donald Bradman.

4. sgp994

sgp994 New Member

Australia has issued several coins to commemorate the one of its most famous, and favourite sons, cricketer Sir Donald Bradman.

Most recently in 2001, following the death of 'The Don', 10,000,000 20 cent coins were released straight to circulation, where they were quickly hoarded out of the picture.

There was also a bi-metallic $5 coin released in 1996. About 500,000+ collector coins in Uncirculated condition, and another 22,500 in proof.
    275,000 unc coins dated 1997 were also sold in a coin/ stamp cover in 1997.

Australia has in recent years released collector coins commemorating various football codes (Rugby Union & Australian Rules Football) and cynical sports fans may predict another cricket coin in the near future.

I look forward to seeing what other coins pop up in the thread.

Cheers,
    Steve

5. WhispTech

WhispTech Senior Member

Jamaica has one lol

because jamaica rulez

[​IMG]

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I had forgotten about the 2001 Aussie 20c.Barbados
    has a banknote that depicts Sir Frank Worrell,who was one of Barbados's most famous cricketers.I am surprised that India & Bangladesh have not as yet had coins with a cricket-related subject.

7. bidnuss

bidnuss Junior Member

A little late to the thread... but are you interested in tokens also? I have a 'Grand Match Admission Ticket' from Darnall Cricket Ground, Sheffield, Yorkshire, circa 1820's.

[​IMG]

8. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Bidnuss,that is a very nice piece of English cricket-related exonumia.I used to play cricket quite often as a boy.

Aidan.

9. bidnuss

bidnuss Junior Member

Thanks. I'm pretty much a stranger to cricket, but I thought it was very well designed, considering it's purpose in life, and has a lot of character. From what research I've done, it appears to be very rare also. From the archive at cricketarchive.co.uk, it looks like this would have been used at one of six "First Class" matches at Darnall between 1826 and 1829? Or is a Grand Match something else entirely? The 1826 match apparently had an attendance estimated at 30,000 over 3 days... if they all were issued tokens, I would think more would have survived. Do you have any idea what the script W signifies?

Chuck

10. Lev

Lev New Member

I didn't see anyone mentioning the 1998 Melbourne Cricket Ground Silver Proof $10.00. It is part of the Landmark Series.

Attached Files:

11. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Boy,Lev,that is a very nice Aussie medal-coin.

Aidan.

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Spock1k,here's a section that's right up our street,as it were.

Aidan.

13. jaytant

jaytant Active Member

There is an 1882-2007 Ashes coin minted by Australia this year... as a $1 unc in bronze, $5 proof in silver and $10 in gold...
    I have a 1996 Bradman bimetallic coin - very beat up, but was the first coin I ever collected, so I'm very close to it :)
    I seriously wonder how come India has never had a cricket coin! That would be one popular issue...

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Where are the pictures??? Geez this post will get quite dull.

Here is one that picked up from circulation:

[​IMG]

Not going to complain about the grade.

15. Brightdogman_☆

Brightdogman_☆ New Member

16. Brightdogman_☆

Brightdogman_☆ New Member

Darnall Cricket Ground. Grand Match Admission Ticket’ Early brass disc admission ticket c1820’s with ‘Darnall Cricket Ground’ and the initial ‘W’ to one side and to verso cricket scene and the wording ‘Grand Match Admission Ticket’ to border. The initials ‘W’ are the proprietors first initial, W.H. Woodhouse who owned the ground in Sheffield. Darnall Park was one of the first grounds on which the great matches in the north were played and was opened in 1821.

An early form of entry ticket. Rare The Wisden Book of Cricket Memorabilia mentions a similar admission ticket on page 215 with further details (Cricket)

14950703772361719521154.jpg

17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Well this is a nice thread revival. How did you ever find it? I was not aware that there was even coin commemorating cricket.

It is pretty much the only sport I follow. Having been born in York I am a lifelong fan of the greatest cricket team in history: Yorkshire. I would love to see other coins to look out for.

Draft saved Draft deleted