Coins back from NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Speedy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Now I don't know how many guys would post their coin grades back from NGC when they were wrong...but I'm trying to be a good Mod. so I'll tell. :D

In July I went to a show and bought 4 rolls of 1962-D Half Dollars. I've gotten great Franklins from rolls such as that and I was pretty sure that these would be the same. Since I paid below melt for them I didn't really care what they graded, but decided to go through all 80 coins and pull out the ones that had a chance at FBL. I pulled out 22. Out of those I went back through and compared them to other coins already graded FBL's. Then out of those I pulled the best 10, and then down to 8. Those were sent off to NGC and I got them back today.

Out of 8 only two got FBL.

The grades were
    MS65
    MS64FBL
    MS63FBL
    MS63
    MS64
    MS64
    MS64
    MS64

The one graded MS63 I see why---I missed a fingerprint...and had I seen that I wouldn't have sent it.
    The 65 really should have graded FBL...I'll try to get some photos....but I don't know what work holds for me yet.
    The 64's are super clean, and the bell lines are nice a sharp.

Who knows---I'm still green at grading and this is a good time to hone my skills.

Speedy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Wow - I am surprised - as carefully as I'm sure you looked at those prior to sending I'm sure you thought you would have had more. I would love to see close-ups of the bell lines on all 8 without knowing which two passed the grade. Thanks for sharing and I would love to learn a little from this too!

4. Speedy

Great idea!! I think that is something I can do!

Speedy

5. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

:D - Every once in a great while one pops into my head - problem is it's usually gone before I can tell anyone :rolleyes: Sign of getting older...

Thanks!!!

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Perfect timing for me. I'm trying to figure out how they choose what classifies as FBL's as well, putting my MS set together. The MS-63 NGC I bought had to have been close but they called it FBL on the holder.

I've got an ungraded 1948 that has the sharpest FBLs out of any I have. I'd say better than the that MS-63 from NGC. It's got to be REALLY subjective. I'd love to have each grader uknowingly judge the same coin 10 times over a 6 month span. I bet it'd be surprising.

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Speedy, you know so much about Franklins that the TPG probably got it wrong.

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

I can teach you more about grading. Lesson 1 send me all those coins ;) jokes aside why did you get so many of those graded?

9. Speedy

Well I was pretty sure that the one would come back MS65FBL. That grade normally sells for around $400-$500.
    The others grades with FBL would normally sell for more than what I had in them, and the min. limit was 5 coins so I decided why not send 8.

Speedy

10. Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted