Coin Vault Made me Puke~~~~

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by clembo, Feb 15, 2010.

1. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Well,

Close to it anyway and I'm not real pleased with NGC in this one either.

They're selling the 25th anniversary MS69 Silver Eagle set that runs from 1986 through 2010 for only $1499. The set comes in special NGC holders that are numbered from 1-1500.

BIG DEAL.

MS69 coins can be found in any original roll. There are way more than 1500 from any given year out there. There are many original rolls still out there INCLUDING the 1996.

It's a rip off folks. Plain and simple.

I loved it when Mr. Loudmouth stated that buying these for resale was basically not a good idea. Does that tell anyone anything? Sure as heck should. If someone walked in the shop with this "$1500" set we'd pay them for the silver with a bit more thrown in for the 96.

Why? We'd be lucky to sell it as a set and certainly wouldn't realize $60 per coin.

For those that would buy this set replace your head with a big lollipop. It indicates SUCKER!

OK,

Rant is over.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Well Dan, I certainly agree. Those shows aren't geared towards clued-in collectors anyhow, but instead little old ladies with no knowledge of the hobby who have a grandchild who collects. Thats why they're always trying to say a family member will appreciate this, and not you directly. Snakes in the weeds, my friend.
    Guy~

4. I love the ASEs but always stay away from these types of promotions/gimmicks. I only buy my ASE bullion coins raw for spot (or as close to spot) as possible. TC

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Gee, Dan, tell us how you really feel!

Don't hold back.

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep - rip off. Plus what you say is true of my local shop also - they will only pay for the silver content.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dan, could you be a little more specific? :)

That fat hawker gets under my skin.......

8. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I've warned everyone in my family about these type of scams,

Thanks for keeping this important message in front of all of us. If we keep up the pressure it will have to affect their sales.

9. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

And they still manage to rip people off. Sometimes I wish I could stick my head in the TV and tell the folks what really happening here.

10. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i could just see that. next thing you know, they would triple their prices and say the coins are "haunted"

11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Why don't you really tell us what's on your mind, Dan? ;)

12. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Yeah, those shows are always ridiculous. I only watch to stare at coins. But I usually end up puking too :)

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Indeed...huge ripoff....but they sell a lot of them nonetheless.

14. Jon H

Jon H Junior Member

Or hook it up to the clapper and you can hear the rant whenever you clap!!!

15. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I always tell my wife and friends, if it is on tv ad or in a magazine ad, do not buy it, it is junk :)

16. namvet4

namvet4 Junior Member

Over priced, over hyped and over done!
    All of the above comments by you fine posters are correct.
    It is a shame that many people who would enjoy coin collecting get roped into buying from these clowns then realize that they were ripped off and walk away from a fine hobby.

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Another HSN horror story!!

18. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

My local shop buys generic Silver rounds for its Silver weight, they pay more for S.A.E.s.....

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Out of curiosity, did they show any that were different numbers or were they "1 of 1500"? The reason I ask is because PCGS did something similar with some of the WTC "death coins". The person submitting them had then put in "sets" labeled 1 of 1000, 1 of 1440 etc. The thing was EVERY coin was labeled "1" so there would be 1440 "number 1" coins. And since there was nothing special about them, after they sold the 1440 coins they could just submit another batch and get THEM labeled "1 of XXX".

It isn't so much the TV people in these situations that makes me sick, it is that the Grading services, the very people who are supposed to be renderers of neutral third party opinions that is catering to the submitters and creating "special" slabs and labels for certain people.

20. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

That sounds interesting!! Havent heard of the Death Coins!!

21. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

Yeah, it's clear that he knows N-O-T-H-I-N-G about coins except what the skinny thief has told him. He's always saying, "The best thing about this set is... it's COMPLETE!"

And I swear to god, I wanna scream when they show those %#@!&%$# gold plated state quarters. They're worthless to a real collector, and I prefer the regular color anyway...

Joe

Draft saved Draft deleted