Coin Value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cjohns, Mar 24, 2008.

1. cjohns

cjohns New Member

I have some JFK Kennedy 1917-1963 Solid 14-k Gold Half Dollars and would like to no the worth of these coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

No you don't.
    1. There were no JFK half dollars minted prior to 1964.
    2. No solid gold JFK half dollars have ever been minted.
    3. No 14K (.583 fine) U.S. gold coins have ever been minted.
    What you probably have are gold plated Chinese fantasy pieces. The Chinese counterfeit coin factories are known for churning out mis-dated fakes. Their Bulgarian counterparts usually restrict themselves to faking real coins.

4. LSM

LSM Collector

Welcome to Coin Talk cjohns. With out a picture I would have to say that the coin or medal that you have, if it is solid gold would be worth melt value.

Lou

5. cjohns

cjohns New Member

I do not belive these are fake, the card that these coins are mounted on says 20th aniversary Tribute SOlid 14-k Gold JFK Half Dollar 1917-1963. It also has the Certificate of Authenticity. They are specially struck minatures of the JFK Half Dollar measureing 9mm in diameter, weighing 3,360 grains. It contains 1.965 grains of pure gold. This was a limited edition until Dec 31,1984 after which the dies will be destroyed and the edition permanently closed. This is what is on the card it is mounted on.

Robert91791 likes this.
  6. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Any "coin" or accompanying COA that uses the word "Tribute" means that it is a privately minted medallion designed to separate collectors from their money.
    Then presumably, it names the private mint that made them.
    That's less than 1/244 of a troy ounce - worth $3.78 at current spot price, and less than $4.20 at gold's peak value of >$1,000 recently.

Your original post implied that you had coins with dates from 1917-63, not a piece with the dates of Kennedy's birth and death as part of the design.

I sure hope you didn't spend more than $5 on it.

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

hontonai
    Your math is off. 1.965 gm = .0631 troy ounce. (1 troy ounce = 31.1 grams) At todays prices, it is worth about $58 in gold bullion.

8. cjohns

cjohns New Member

I did not pay anything for them. They belonged to my mother who passed away and I came across them. I also found a Liberty Half DOllar in recognition of the 100th birthday of Statue of Liberty, Size : 1.205 inches weight: .36 troy oz, Copper .33 troy oz, Nickel .03 troy oz, Mint : San Francisco. What is the value of this one., also some silver coins with ESTADOS UNIDOS MEXICANOS 1968 They look like pure Silver, but I really do not know.

9. pbryan

pbryan Member

The OP said 1.965 grains not grams... There are 480 grains in a troy ounce.

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

coin0709, britannia40 and Stevearino like this.
  11. CoinGal07

CoinGal07 Still Collecting

Great info Coleguy.

12. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith New Member

Got a coin what it worth

13. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith New Member

What's this worth

Attached Files:

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

There are solid gold Kennedy Half Dollars dated 1964-2014 of 3/4 oz. 24kt gold.

15. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith New Member

16. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith New Member

This

Attached Files:

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Jeff, you have added to a thread 9 years old, so most may ignore it. You can start a thread by using the "post new thread" in a forum such as coin chat. Your photo shows a silver object according to the stamping 1 troy ounce of silver worth today about $17 if tested pure as it is not a coin, it is a token.

Finn, you also were answering an old thread, the author was last here over 3 years ago. Jim

18. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

That coin didn’t exist when this thread was created.

It’s worth the melt price of silver. That’s more of a bullion round than a coin.

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Sorry, missed that. It was listed under "Recent Posts".

20. stevec

stevec New Member

[​IMG]

21. stevec

stevec New Member

It sells for 1000+. it's real, but there are Chinese fakes. Plenty of them

Draft saved Draft deleted