Coin shops in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinKeeper, Apr 10, 2009.

1. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good coin shops here in Toronto, Canada. Please let me know.

Thanks!:thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Hey, I am from the Greater Toronto Area and I havent found too many. Downtown I know there was one by the Eatons center but I think it went out of business. The one I deal with most is called House of Stamps in Square One mall in Missisauga. Very friendly staff there and they are an official dealer of the royal canadian mint. I have heard there are others around but havent had the time to check them out yet (since I'm at university in the states) Have you seen any others? Hope that helps!

4. CoinKeeper

There's one near Allen Rd. and Eglington Ave. called Taylor's Coins. Another member here told me about it. I'll call House of Stamps, and Taylor's coins and see what they have. I'm looking for airtites, 2x2's, and BU wheats!

5. CoinKeeper

Any other stores anyone recommends?

6. north49guy

Thanks CoinKeeper, I will have to check out Taylors Coins!

7. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

Yes, Taylor coins is a reliable and honest dealer. (BTW, its Avenue Road and Eglinton) You can park 1 block north of Eglinton off of Avenue road along the side of the street. Its a residential area.
    For a nice little outing, take the subway up to Yonge and Eglinton and walk over. Its a nice walk and you can look in the shop windows along the way. I love going to Taylor coins.
    There is also a guy in the mall at the corner of Victoria Park and Ellesmere that I also highly recommend. He use to be @ The Bay @ Yorkville but the new owners of The Bay gave him the boot. (Tho there is still a dealer @ The Bay in Montreal-Figure that out.). His shop sells alot of cast iron soldiers, (check this stuff out its kind of interesting), as well as all his coins.
    He's honest as well, and parking is ample. I think his names Michael. His shop is in the Mall is right across from Shoppers Drug Mart.
    If I can offer my opinion on the other dealers listed above.
    House of Stamps-Sorry, I use to live in Mississauga and now that I have branched out to other dealers I now find their inventory very expensive and difficult to haggle. If the owners not there, the old guys won't even budge. There are some recent RCM stuff there that is priced properly however. Even their coin albums and pages are approx 40% higher than most places. I know Square One has a high overhead, and the guy needs to make a buck but...well...you know the rest....
    The Guy by the Eatons Centre? - No inventory what so ever. Even his older RCM stuff is somewhat inflated in price.
    I recently had the wonderful experiance of driving to Brampton and visiting a coin shop called B&W or something like that. I was speaking to one of the owners and my oh my..what a personable individual I just love the inventory they have on site, and the prices are very good. great customer service as well.
    Once again, I just want to reiterate, get out there and get to know the other dealers. When limiting yourself to one dealer, you are missing out on lots of better buying oportunities that are out there.

8. CoinKeeper

I went to Taylor's coins today, and it was great! Lots of albums, 2x2's, and capsules at fair prices. Lots of US and Canadian inventory, and cheap world coins too. A nice variety at great prices too. Heck, I got a 1864 XF40 two cent piece for $12US (was $15 CAD :) It was the only at that price :p

Great owner and paid no tax! Always a plus.

9. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

I'd say, approx 45% of my personal collection was bought @ Taylor coins.
    Im sure I will eventually bump into you there at some point.
    Glad you had a good buying experiance.
    Next timerummage through his Canadian coin book inventory. The 2 x 2's he's got highlighted in Pink is 1/3 off, and green is 1/2 price off.
    BTW, I am inclined to believe you may not have found any Brilliant UNC wheaties there, as i cleaned him out good about 4 weeks ago.

10. north49guy

I will definatly have to check all these out when I get off from university for the summer. I have heard about B&W as I live in Brampton, havent been able to check it out though.

11. CoinKeeper

I got pink for 1/2 and green for 1/3, but I was looking through US cents. I did manage to get a few nice ones in MS65. I got a 1941, 1954-S, and 1956. Do you know if he regularly gets any BU wheats?

12. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

I tend to say no...he doesnt seem to have much of those...but...get up to B+W in Brampton...he's got tons and tons of BU Lincolns there...

13. CoinKeeper

How much is alot? 10, 20, 100, 1000? :)

How are the prices, do you know?

14. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

Id say he's got hundreds of brilliant UNC Lincolns there. I was there approx 4 months ago, and from what I remember memorials go for no more than a buck a piece, cant recall the price of the wheaties tho. I think the price of those weres contingent on the year.
    Just go up there and window shop, at the very least. You can browse for hours.

15. msantonato

msantonato New Member

This thread helped me. Thank you all.
    A friend of mine is looking to sell off his collection. He asked me to help him.
    Message me if anyone is interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted