coin shop question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cc51, Aug 6, 2007.

1. cc51

cc51 Senior Member

im going to my local coin shop later today and i was wondering if these coins would be to out of the ordinary to ask

1945 s nickel
    3 frank halfs
    1954 nickel proof
    eizenhauer 1974 s silver dollar ( 40% ) ogp

also how much would everything be if all the non proof coins where bu and the halfs we vf ( im buying commen date silver halfs)
    i have a total around 30 -35 dollars?
    thanks
    bob

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tjenkins_1983

tjenkins_1983 Numismaniac

Nope. I have asked my dealer for some of those same ones.

4. cc51

cc51 Senior Member

is my price in the right range? too high or to low?

5. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

Might be a bit too high.

6. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

also how much would everything be if all the non proof coins where bu and the halfs we vf ( im buying commen date silver halfs)
    i have a total around 30 -35 dollars?
    thanks
    bob[/quote]

You might be out of luck price-wise. I checked with my dealer, who's very reasonable, and he has the following:

1945-S Nickel, BU, $10.50

1954 Gem Proof Nickel, $25.00

!974-s Ike, Gem Proof, $10.50

7. cc51

cc51 Senior Member

You might be out of luck price-wise. I checked with my dealer, who's very reasonable, and he has the following:

1945-S Nickel, BU, $10.50

1954 Gem Proof Nickel, $25.00

!974-s Ike, Gem Proof, $10.50[/QUOTE

wow why so much for the 54? i look in my guide book for prices and the 1954 is about 10$ although its not the red book

8. TC2007

TC2007 Senior Member

My Red Bok lists it at $20, and those prices are always a little on the low side.

9. cc51

cc51 Senior Member

i guess its time to buy a new price guide lol thanks for the help

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

cc:
    Pick up a copy of Coin World's price guide, even that is slightly out of date, but more accurate than the Guide Book's prices.

11. cc51

cc51 Senior Member

well i just went and the only thing i picked up was a 1964 pl kennedy half for 6$...... the people that ran the coin shop were very very rude to me. i asked him if i could look at the ike's and he slammed the book on the desk and gave me a silver proof 1974 ike with green yellow slime with a bunch of fingure print on it. i put that one back and look through the other one and they were worse. i asked him why they were all fingured up and he blamed it on me!!!!! last time im going there. dose anyone know where i could buy a original goverment packed 1974 s silver proof ike online?

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

some guys just don't want your business

14. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

Buy them on Ebay...

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I agree with this - visit other dealers. Do some research too before going to a dealer or using ebay(have an idea of pricing for the grade you are looking for). This is something I am guilty of - big time. I have found at times with my dealer that I could do better on ebay - but it is worth it for me to hold and view the coin. And the questions you ask are nothing compared to what I have seen - or even asked. First, find a dealer that is nice and helpful. My dealer has taken the time to look at coins bought off ebay and has helped me (and my father) with grading. The funny thing is my father won't buy from him because he knows he won't get a MS64 coin at MS60 prices like he MIGHT on Ebay. BUT with ebay he runs the risk of getting cleaned coins(he just had two body bagged by PCGS that are really nice coins). Just do not get caught up in a bidding war on ebay - decide what you are willing to pay and don't go over it. I have found for common date coins (with patience) you will win one for your price. Have fun -especially since your grandma just gave you some IHC's.

16. CaspersCoins

CaspersCoins Junior Member

CC51 Sorry to hear about ur unfortunate encounter with your local coin dealer. I love helping younger people that come into my store, especially the ones that buy books instead of coins in the first visit. Keeps me sharp with there multitude of questions. And as for the way he treated you when you requested an Ike dollar that just blows my mind. I love the opportunity to get rid of an Ike dollar. One day I think i will by taking a truck load to the bank. If you lived in my area I would be glad to help you.

Draft saved Draft deleted