Coin rescue story

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vroomer2, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Ok, so we have horror stories, what got you started, etc...

Well, I have a rescue story. Before I left for VA, I had dinner with one of the families at my church. The dad and son like to hunt and we had quail tacos... mmm. Anyway, my coin collecting hobby came up as topic of conversation during dinner and they wanted to show me their grandpa's coin collection. I didn't even try to mentally prepare myself for any horrors...

After dinner, out comes this craftsman tool box, the kind that you can pull the drawrs out. We go from the top to the bottom. They are most pleased with the proof coins and the shiney ones from the mint. Two PCGS Murcury dimes (1944-D MS-65 FB and a 1940 MS-65 FB.. OLD OLD super small green PCGS slabs.) caught my attention REALLY quick. The proof sets were "top shelf" to them. :whistle: In the middle were some empty/partially filled Whitman flip folders and a few darksiders. :kewl:

Before I open the bottom and last drawr, I was told, "These aren't as good as the ones in the top tray." *GASP* :eek: in the first bin were about 15 Morgan dollars in plastic wrap. *ACK* Then I started through the 2x2s and pulled out a nice BU 1935-S Washington Quarter. :eek: I almost fell over.

This past Sunday, at church, I delivered 25 2x2 flips for their Morgans and the Red Book on Morgans, 2nd edition. Since they had professed wanting to do the right thing, I just gave them tools and will let them go nuts. I have also offered to send in their 1935-S to the PCGS when I send in my next submission.

That was my good coin deed for 2006. :smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

4. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

i also have a rescue story. me and my friend were playing playstation 2 when i heard the familar sound of coins, lots of coins clattering together. my friend knows i am a serious collector so he said, my mom is dumping her change out so she can turn them into coinstar after while. i came out of his bedroom and there was coins, thousands of them! she said she has been saving them for at least 14 years. i jumped into the coins and started flipping over every cent, look at all the dates on the nickels, looking at all the quarters and dimes. this is before i knew about silver halfs. anyway, i found a 1919 cent, a bunch of 40's and 50's cents, 40's and 50's nickels, 1946 dime. it was great! when we got it all sorted out, the 1919 cent was in fine condition! it looked like it came out of someones collection. it was about 50 cents worth of old coins in that jug. she bagged them up into a pillow case, then we all went to town. when we got to the coinstar, i began to wonder how many wheaties and old nickels we missed! we had to go through them in a hurry because she had some things to do. it is fun going through unsearched jugs of change!:goofer:

5. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

I once found an 1877 penny in a river in good condition.

6. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Cool stories and glad you can help.

7. HULL COINS

HULL COINS Member

I watched someone go to a coinstar and empty a 5 gallon bucket of coins. I tried to pay him for the rejected coins(silver) but he was already off with his $500 dollar piece of paper.

8. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

A nearly 3-year-old thread resurrected.

Nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted