Coin or collectible?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by EllieFunt, Feb 15, 2005.

1. EllieFunt

EllieFunt Junior Member

I have a coin that has King Edward on it. (Not sure which one) It is silver. Around the edge it says " GOD SAVE EDWARD KING OF ENGLAND" His picture is in the center (with crown on) On the other side is a lion on rear paws and a unicorn (the same way) they are holding a crown. Under the crown are crossed swords, under the swords is an upside down 13 (?) Around the coin it says "PROSPER THE WORK OF OUR HANDS O. LORD *** (STARS)"

Can anyone identify this coin? And which King Edward this could be? We have tried to compare pictures with the websites on British royalty but King Edward VII has a beard in all the pictures we have found. (not that it means a whole lot) The coin we have doesn't show facial hair.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ellie

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy Ellie - Welcome to the Forum !!

If you can post a pic please do so. But right off hand - it doesn't sound like a coin to me. Perhaps it is a medal ??

4. EllieFunt

EllieFunt Junior Member

Let me see if I can get a good picture. Sadly my scanner has passed on. :( I'll see if the library would help me out.

There are not holes in it - if it were a medal would there be holes in it so it could be worn? Just curious.

Thanks.

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum Ellie.
    The great majority of medals are cast or struck without any holes. Those with holes were either intended to hang from a ribbon, or had the holes made after production.

The legends on your piece are not consistent with any British or British Commonwealth country coin and are much more typical of a medal.

6. El Mero Mero

El Mero Mero New Member

I have also found the same coin/medal. Has anyone been able to find more info on it?

7. antmoreton

antmoreton New Member

Similar Find

I found the same coin and discovered online that it is a medalet. However when I took it to a local coin place I was told it was not an original it was a casting. If you have an original yours might be worth something but mine is not.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Antmoreton,El Mero Mero, and EllieFunt:
    Welcome one and all to Coin Talk.

9. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

This is an old thread treashunt.

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Welcome antmoreton (This is a new guy Today LOL) any chance that you could put up a scan or pic of both sides? I collect Royal Medals and would love to see it.

:D

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

oops, gotta check those dates.

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Welcome aboard.It sounds like you have got one of those King Edward VIII Coronation medals that were struck in 1936.This was a non-event,as King Edward VIII abdicated in December 1936,but his brother ended up being crowned instead.

Aidan.

13. Pardoe

Pardoe New Member

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=3613

I also have this coin/medalet. A friend of a friend found it in Sherwood Forest. I'm very interested to know it's history. BTW It is not the 1936 corination commemoration medal. I don't think it is a coin because it has no date on it, although it is certainly old. I'll put in in some vinegar overnight.

14. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

If the people at that UK metal detecting website are correct that it is a 19-20th century item, it would have to be Edward VII (1901-10) or VIII (1936), and it doesn't look at all either one of them. Being beardless, it may be intended as a stylized version of VIII, but that seems to be a stretch.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I strongly advise you not to do that. Vinegar is an acid and will only harm the object.

16. Pardoe

Pardoe New Member

Heh, bit late...
    After Vinegar: A stamped "E1" or "EI" has appeared. (It could also be "13" if viewed upside down on the coin. This looks very much like a 13). The metal is certainly not silver, I agree that it's pewter - it's a leady grey. This E1 stamp is very suspect - it makes it seem like a reproduction or a copy, a bit like when fake coins have WRL stamped on them.

The vinegar made the metal very dark, so I rubbed what I could off (It does look better than it did before. It got the scale off it.). Now Edward's got major bags under his eyes.

17. Pardoe

Pardoe New Member

If this helps in identifying the metal: It has inverted scratches (coming out at you), and its kinda whispy, very randomly angled outward scratches. A bit like what cotton wool would do to clay, but very subtley. On the rim of the coin, the metal is very rough/pitted.

18. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Well, I'm sure you can take pride in the fact that whatever value the piece had before you went to work on it is now gone!

Soaking in acid - even as mild as vinegar - followed by a vigorous rub, have combined to destroy any originality, and very probably contributed to the scratches you are seeing.

19. Pardoe

Pardoe New Member

Haha well perhaps I was wrong in soaking it in vinegar, buts thats what I have grown up doing to see under the grim of old coins. And I can certainly see the coin alot clearer. the sratches are part of the metal, not because of my actions, as I said, they are outward scratches, not something you can do yourself!

20. revolutionboys

revolutionboys New Member

where

If you have found this coin where? I have one and want to see if they where found close by. How much could this coin sell for.:loud: i will say this much i found it in one of the carolinas

21. perrywheeler

perrywheeler Junior Member

did you find out what that coin medal was?

Draft saved Draft deleted