Coin identification - Is this the same coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by spiraltreet, Mar 29, 2007.

?

Identify this coin.

1. 1/2 Chuckram

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. other

100.0%
  1. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

Hello guys, here's a riddle.. Today, I purchased some dump coins from a dealer. Most of them are in good shape. But, the coin in question is somewhat different. It has got a lot of dirt on it and the features are hardly visible.. And, the most difficult thing is that the coin is having diameter of only 5 mm [​IMG] . Now, there is one coin which is of the same size as this coin to me and that is a half chuckram (silver) of Travancore. Here, the riddle starts... Because of the dirt, I cannot determine whether the coin with me is indeed silver or its features. And if it is indeed the coin I suspect, then it is going to be a jackpot for me.. This coin has become extremely rare and the price now runs to more than $400.. I've attached both the obverse and reverse of the coin and also a scan of the catalogue in which the coin is shown (please do not care for the value given in the catalogue.. it does not indicate its real value now). Please give me your opinions regarding this.. I'm opening a poll for this thread please do participate actively... :smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I would love to, but where can I see a picture?

Hint - if you are attaching pictures, do not preview your post. If there's an error you can edit it after posting, but for some reason the preview function doesn't work with new attachments.

4. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

oops.. I forgot.. Here's the pictures attached... :)

Attached Files:

5. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

I think, this picture might help more...

Attached Files:

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I had to vote no match :( because I am seeing what appears to be a circle design in the bottom of the upper right quadrant on the questioned coin, and nothing remotely similar in that position on the 1/2 chuckram.

7. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

what do you think.. cleaning of this coin will do any good? and what would be your most preferred method for this one?.. Remember, this coin is only 5mm in diameter...

8. johndo

johndo New Member

Rock polisher...maybe? :goofer:

9. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

no clue, looks like a button or something.

10. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

It doesn't look like a Travancore issue.

Just based on what little bit is visible on coin, I can imagin it an issue of early British coin from Madras Presidency with VOC monogram.

Or some Indo-Ducth coins had similar monograms like DAC etc. Those are all close to 5mm copper coins and resemble with the one you posted.

For cleaning, I would suggest that you soak it in olive oil for a week and try to clean it with toothpick. You may start seeing little more details on this coin. Good luck!

Regards
    Ballabh Garg

11. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I can't see the match, but I agree with bgarg, if you think you may have a valuable chuckram, olive oil, careful picking, and patience are the best solutions. Any other method compromises your chances of retaining its value.

12. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Don't know for sure, and you probably won't know either until/unless it is cleaned (carefully).

13. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Biju,I don't think it is a Travancorean coin at all.I think it is either a Dutch Indian coin,or one from Dutch Ceylon (which was taken over by the British in 1796 & renamed Ceylon).

Aidan.

14. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I would try soaking the coin in olive oil for a length of time (like a month). Apparently it is quite good at removing crusty dirt from coins.

15. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

the middle picture of coin looks like a match to me. I can see the faint dots and shape to the right

16. spiraltreet

spiraltreet New Member

well, I took this coin to a veteran and he doubts this is the same coin.. But the thing is that he's also not sure.. so, I'm going for the olive oil treatment.. will let you know the result in due course.. [​IMG]

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i dont recommend olive oil but its too late now. you were better off sending it to a conservation service but i guess its too late now

Draft saved Draft deleted