Coin Dealers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bromac4, Jun 3, 2004.

1. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

I would just like to briefly share my experiences with 2 different coin dealers. I am curious to know if this is typical.
    I am a novice collector ,I've only been at it for a couple of years. I live in a small community about 50 miles from a larger centre where these 2 dealers are located.
    The first dealer runs a very large operation. Two pages in every issue of Canadian Coin news and over 650 current E-bay auctions. The phisical store is tiny and usually everyone seems very busy.I am given the impression that no one has any interest in chatting with me about anything. I have to admit here that this first impression has prevented me from even trying.
    The second is a very young guy who has only been in business for a little over a year.I sure you can figure out by now that he knows my name and is only too happy to talk about coins.Even if the store is busy the atmosphere is such that all the customers join in the discussions. A trip to this store is always an enjoyable and informative experience.
    My question as I stated earlier is are my experiences typical.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

More typical than I would have hoped, I suspect.

ND can definitely shed more light on this, as can others who are dealers, but the business side of the profession can either be the only reason you are a coin dealer, or you can do the business to support the hobby and the desire to educate others.

I think most dealers start out wanting to educate, with those that are in it just for the money in the minority. As they progress in the profession, I dunno what the statistics are.?.?.?.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ever notice with people in general - some like to talk and some don't ? Well coin dealers are the same - they're just people. If there are 3 people working in a given coin shop - odds are one of them will be quieter than the other two.

But you also have to remember - if a dealer has been at it for quite a few years - he's seen the same thing over and over. And that is one person after another come into to his shop to sell him a coin they are absolutely sure is worth a fortune. But it isn't. This tends to get tiring.

So many times - a delaer will hold back to a degree until he sees what you are all about. If you express an interest in learning and you actually buy something now and then - odds are he will talk and be willing to share. But some are just going to be quiet type people. Just like anybody else.

5. hhearst

hhearst New Member

What GDJMSP said!!!

I had an experience with a store like that. The store had been there over 25 years. The dealer was very curt almost to the point of being obnoxious. However, he is an old style dealer, no computer in sight, so no ebay taking up his time and he is the only one in the shop. You have to get buzzed in and when you have overstayed you welcome, he starts hitting the buzzer to let you know to get out. His phone manners are even worse. :)

Now, however I actually got to know this person and I must say that I love my trips to his shop. Sometimes I spend hours of time and thousands of dollars. He know more in his pinky than I know in my whole brain, so I always learn something. I make appointments to see him and I show up on time. When people come into the shop, I move aside.

So, get to know both dealers if possible. You never know where that relationship can go.

Most of the newer dealers I know are much more friendly. I never really thought about it much though.

- Hal

6. cholmes75

cholmes75 New Member

I visited a local coin shop for the first time a week or two ago. While there a father brought his son in (about 9-10 yrs. old) and he wanted to look at a whole bunch of coins. After looking at one of the Buff Nickels and exclaiming how much he liked it. The dealer said "You like it, take it! free of charge!" The kid was thrilled of course.

That's the kind of thing that will make me go back to this store.

Of course, I had to pay for all my coins. :p

7. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Great story, cholmes75! No matter your mood, you can't help but smile!

One of the dealers I visit has a habit of making his young visitors put out some effort before he will give them a coin ;-)

Little things like read a portion of the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, etc. It was one of the things that brought me back...

8. National dealer

National dealer New Member

GDJMSP has a great point. We dealers are just people. Nothing extra special about any of us. I don't put a lot of stock in age or the size of their store. Most large dealers do not operate a store at all. We work out of offices and wharehouse space. Saves a lot on overhead and security. Check most of the advertisers in CoinWorld, and they do not operate a public shop.

Busy dealers have little extra time. Believe me, time is something we are all short on. What I would not give for two more hours in each day.

Building a relationship with your dealer is the greatest thing in the world. Sometimes it may take a little time, but will be worth it. Don't come to quick conclusions based on a few visits. Go back again and again. If the prices are fair and honest, that will give you an idea about the dealer. It may take a little while for him to get comfortable with you also. You have to take into consideration that as dealers we have to be very leary of strangers. We buy and sell what everyone in the world would love to have. MONEY.

Just an inside opinion.....

9. silver art bars

silver art bars New Member

I have the same two types of coin dealers in my town. One is very busy and not very nice and the other one has a small store but when ever I come in even if he is with someone else always askes how I am and what I am looking for instead of ignoring me.

Draft saved Draft deleted