Coin collectors who spend Halves, Dollar coins, and Two Dollar bills.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by alcochaser, Dec 13, 2007.

1. alcochaser

alcochaser Large Clad Dollar Nut

I am curious, how many of you actively try and spend Half Dollars, Dollar Coins, and the Two dollar bills.

I know there is a coin store near here that gives half dollars in the change.

I love to carry about Halves, Dollar Coins and Two Dollar bills and spend them, love the reactions I get.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SCNuss

SCNuss Senior Member

I search rolls of dollar and half dollar coins, and spend what isn't collectable. The Presidential dollars got a lot of confused looks from the cashiers, at first.

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i dont spend any of em... gems, circulateds, and junks.. i keep em all!

5. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I spend more Prez dollars than halves and $2 dollar bills. I dont normally buy rolls to search anymore therefore I dont have any to carry around. Although, if I did buy rolls, I would spend what I didnt keep. I get alot of Prez dollars from the change machine at work and I look at each one very carefully before feeding the vending machines.

6. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I have yet to get a Presidential dollar in change but I'd spend one in a heartbeat.

Halves I spend. $2 notes well....I have good stash of CU notes that may hit the streets shortly along with a bunch of Sacagaweas, Bicentennial halves and maybe some quarters.

Ran into a few "financial" glitches this month as it were and they are really only worth face value.
    Most will probably go to the bank for larger currency but I do plan on spending some CU consecutive $2 notes. That should be interesting.

Most of this stuff is really my "vacation" fund but just may have to tap into it. You do what you gotta do.

7. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I like to spend coins in general, well as long as they're not worth alot more than face. I really enjoy paying for a 3 or 4 dollar purchase with a handfull of Halves.

8. taz

taz devilish for coins

Dollars...

I do my bit... go to the bank to get some dollar rolls... and spend 'em...

I usually leave them as my 'tip' after a meal out...

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I try to spend them, I used to give 1/2's to the kids for lunch money but they hated me.
    They esp. hated the Ike dollars.

10. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Sure, I think it's part of the hobby. Who knows who might get one of them and turn into another collector.

I have been spending .50, 1.00 and 2.00 whenever I can get my hands on them for years. The Post Office has been great with their stamp machines as your change over $1.00 is returned in dollar coins.

My credit union has also been very good with the new Pres. Dollars.

I think it's a good thing.

rono

11. Booner

Booner Member

I'm with Treashunt. I go to the bank and get rolls of the new prez dollars (until they run out) then when my children has for spending money I break out the rolls! They also hate it, but $1 is $1.

I also use them for tips.

12. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

I spend them all. I search through them every week, so I always have some on hand to spend.

13. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I get a roll of halves about every other month and spend them. Sometimes, it does become a moral dilemma. I'll go into the gas station and buy a coffee for $1.29 and give the 16 year old girl three Kennedys. She looks at them, rings it up as $3 and tries to give me back $1.71 in change.

Tempting..... :) But I'm not one for getting young folks in trouble when the till doesn't balance.

14. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

I save a few and spend the rest...or give them to kids.

15. alcochaser

Or it goes the other way..... "Ohh big quarters"....

The 2 dollar bills, Sac dollars, and Pres dollars are no trouble.... But I just get the sense that most young people have never seen a Halve in their life. Ohh and let's not even get into the SBAs...

Ike Dollars are another story.... "Damn that thing is big", and the instantly recognizable loud clatter as they hit the counter is priceless!

16. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

Maybe, every member reading this will leave a $ coin or 1/2 $ coin as a tip to a waitress or waiter and post the results in the forum!

Clinker

17. alcochaser

I have done that, I love to leave a SBA, Sac dollar, and one of each pres for a tip at a decent Restaurant. I usually get great responses.

18. SDPlayer

SDPlayer Member

My first post since joining.

I went to the local pharmacy this AM to get something for my cold. Had to go to the back counter since even the non-prescription stuff is now more controlled here in CA. The girl that helped me had a very nice South African accent (I asked); when I paid my $6.48, I used a roll of halves. Boy, what I look I got. She had to ask me what they were and then opened the roll to double-check one of the coins. It was priceless! :D One of the best reactions I've ever had.

19. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I spend them all of the time.

20. luc87

luc87 Lmcoins

$2 bills, illegal tender, 50 cents, really rare in circulation, 1 dollar coins
    ALL:rolling:the time.

21. jnpjresq

jnpjresq New Member

I spend half dollars and dollor coin all of the time. The halfs are good for school lunches for my kids - they are hard to lose because of the size - lunch ladies are less than thrilled - they do not have room for them in the cash tray.

Draft saved Draft deleted