Coin Cleaning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by susanlynn9, Jul 27, 2004.

1. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I have heard a lot of different opinions about what is considered to be a "cleaned" coin. Some people have said that if no chemicals are used (just warm water and dish soap) that a coin is not considered to be cleaned. Some have said that even running a coin under water alone makes it a cleaned coin. I have been collecting since I was 5 and my grandfather (who got me started) said that coins should never be cleaned no matter what, even with just soap and water. I have seen coins that only have dirt deposits but have hesitated to do anything about it because I don't want to devalue the coin. What is the general consensus about cleaning without chemicals or abrasives? Any input would be appreciated.
    Susan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Welcome to the forum. This subject gets brought up every so often. For the most part, any form of cleaning is not good. Using distilled water is okay as long as you never rub the coin with anything. Any cloth will leave wipe marks. Any form of soap will leave a residue in the devices. Anyone that spends enough time looking at coins can spot cleaning easily. The original luster isn't a hard thing to remove or cover up.
    If you do a search here on the forum for cleaning or cleaned coins you should find plenty of topics. :D

4. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Thank you. I'll see what I can find.

5. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

ND,
    Thanks. I just finished reading a whole bunch of posts and they all reinforced what I already knew - cleaning in any form should be avoided at all costs!
    I also read a post regarding the appearance of coins in pictures that appear to be cleaned because they don't show luster. That was extremely informative. We sell on eBay and don't clean our coins (I am starting to wonder if some of the coins that we have sold may have been cleaned before they got to us, however). We actually tried to avoid any type of reflection or shine in our pictures so that the details of the coin could be clearly seen. Now I feel stupid because it apparently made the coins appear cleaned. Oh well, live and learn.

6. National dealer

Taking photos of coins is such a hard thing to do. Luster is all but impossible to capture in a photo. Detecting cleaning is just a learned experience. Some forms of cleaning are easier to spot than others. Yet sometimes it is just something that you can't quite put your finger on. For my firm, if we are in doubt, we list as cleaned. Putting the customer first is the best way to keep them coming back.
    Don't feel stupid though. There is so much about this hobby/business that just takes time. Learning is a daily process.

7. rick

rick Coin Collector

so I guess this WW II airplane polish is a bad idea?

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

ND
    I think that you'll agree that sometimes you HAVE to clean coins--for example, "PVC-ed" coins. I just got a silver dollar from the bank (1881-O..nice find! :D ) and it had tar all over it--I cleaned it and it looks better then when I got it.

So it just depends on what's on the coin...do you agree?

Speedy

9. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

what about dipped in gas as a cleaning method???

10. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I'm sure that would be fine. Gas evaporates so it shouldn't leave a residue like dish soap might. :D

11. Paintballa7786

Paintballa7786 New Member

I am also interested in another hobby, astronomy. And sometimes your eyepieces or mirrors on your telescope get dirty. So i bought a cloth specially made not to scratch your optics, and it does what its supposed to, it doesnt leave any scratches on my eyepieces or mirrors. I bet a cloth like this with just a little water on it wouldnt hurt the coin at all. Check out the link.
    http://www.telescope.com/shopping/p...=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=30&iProductID=120

12. National dealer

You have to take into consideration that it is the original luster that is effected. This is something that can easily be streaked, stained, or corroded. Now some circumstances require cleaning, such as corrosive materials like PVC or tape residue.
    People have this tendency to try to figure out a way to clean without damaging, and no household rememedy will work. While it may fool some of the people all of the time, at some point, someone will lose because a coin has been cleaned.

13. guy

guy New Member

i heard that coke or vinegar is supose to work does this damage the coin?

14. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

The bottom line is that virtually all kinds of cleanings where chemical agents are used will leave visible evidence of damage to a coin and, for that reason, should generally be avoided. As mentioned before, distilled water can be used, but not in conjunction with trying to rub the material out of the coin.

It should generally be assumed that you should never clean your coins.

Having said that -- there may be a VERY small number of cases where a careful, professional cleaning could enhance the appeal, desirability and value of a coin. But in almost all cases, you'll ruin it even more, and even in those rare cases where that's not the case, you definitely need a trusted, reputable professional opinion. This is NEVER a decision a novice should make.

15. jimmy_goodfella

i have some coins morgans that are very dark in colour,im wondering if they would be a candidate for cleaning, as there is no mint luster showing anyway anything has gotta be better than this very dark silver.

what would be a reasonable cleaning method for these, i dont mind a small risk as there common dates but this ugly dark one is driving me mad.

i also recently purchased a morgan off eebay that has been practically ruined by someone cleaning it.Looks very flat now guess its just worth bullion value now

16. jimmy_goodfella

guy i remember as a kid putting pennys in coke they came up lovley and clean.

ive also read that wrapping the coin in alu foil and putting in salted warm water works well, causes a galvanic effect.

i think i need something stronger for these morans though

caustic soda anyone?

17. rick

rick Coin Collector

I don't know... I know a few people who like the aesthetics of a dark silver coin - but I don't know anyone who like the look of a cleaned one.

Personally, if I were you, I would just sell the coins or trade them up for something you like.

Ajax and sandpaper - the cleaner cleaner.

18. Jaeru

Jaeru New Member

If this is anything like wrapping anything silver in aluminum foil and putting it in water with baking soda (I assume it would be the same thing), what happens it that the silver sulfide breaks apart and the sulfur bonds with the aluminum. While you don't lose any silver, the entire surface would be disturbed as all the silver atoms are repositioned.

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Folks - there is no safe method for cleaning coins. Soap, gasoline, alcohol, household cleansers, even what many consider as harmless - acetone - all can & will harm your coins.

As for putting a penny in coke - you bet it will make it nice and shiny. But leave a penny in there for a couple days - you won't have a penny anymore - it will disolve :eek:

20. jody526

jody526 New Member

I've heard some wild ideas before, but some of these take the cake.

If you don;t know, ask someone that does.

If you don't know, don't pretend you do, and try to advise others.

It's like this, unless there's something on your coin that will eat into it's surface, just leave it alone.

Remember, you can never make a coin better than it is.

21. rick

rick Coin Collector

for the record, I was kidding about the ajax and sandpaper... I was brainstorming on the most abrasive cleaning technique possible.

and the airplane polish - I actually saw a decent franklin half collection completely destroyed by someone who whizzed them up with this stuff. It made them all look like plastic money.

very very unfortunate.

Draft saved Draft deleted