Coin Albums vs. Do-it-yourself slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jaceravone, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I didn't do a search on this topic, so I am sorry in advance if it has been discussed before in the past, but I am sure there are new members on here that have the same question and would appreciate a new thread dedicated to this topic.

I noticed some time ago that AMOS supply sells these snap together "do-it-yourself slabs" that you can buy in a packaged deal with software to make your own stickers. I think one of the packaged deals also includes the boxes that can store up to 25 of these slabs. (Very similar to the PCGS or NGC boxes)

I also know that these slabs are often looked down upon when being sold by someone who claims an artificial grade on a homemade slab. But these "slabs" would be for my own personal collection and most likely not sold. And if they were, I would not include a grade on these.

My question is this: what offers the most protection for your coin collection? Individually slabbing the coins with these do-it-yourself kits or keeping them in my Whitman deluxe albums with the plastic slides.

We all know about the effects the plastic slides can have when slid across the face of the coin. I want to offer the most protection for my coins, but also want to keep them the most accessable as well. I am constantly upgrading coins and moving things around, so there is a high risk that I could damaged the face of the coin by constantly sliding the plastic slides back and forth. On the flip side of things (no pun intended ;)) the bulk of my collection are coins from 1909 and on (other than my Morgans) and can range from good up to GEM UNC with a few proofs and my modern collection (post 1965) contains all UNCs and proofs. So I don't have any really early high end coins. Other than cost, are there any other reasons that I wouldn't want to put my coins into these "slabs" for better protection or is it even worth the hassel and money???

Thanks for everyone's imput and advice. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Hi Joe,

For my really good frankies or other coins I have in my personal collection, I keep in airtites and then put the airtites in a 2.5x2.5 flip, that way they dont get scratched. there are also airtite albums you can make.

However, I like the slabs and was thinking about going to those. I'd like to here some thoughts on how safe they are too.

stainless

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Don't know how they are sealed but they must be better then flips , coins can fall out or be scratched when taking in or out , and they must be safer than 2x2 cardboards , see my thread on damaged Barber , I'd say buy a couple and see how well they're made , & how well they stay together , I do know that the kind that screw together are super nice but a little pricy , but your coins are worth it .
    rzage

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Some of those slabls pop open very easily, others do not. So it really depends on which brand you get. And while the better ones are just as Air-Tites at protecting your coins, they sure are a lot more expensive than Air-Tites.

6. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Thanks guys for replying. So, if money is not an issue, do you think it would be worth it to transfer my better coins to these snap together slabs. Then maybe transfer the other ones as I go?

7. GDJMSP

Absolutely, I would never recommend that anyone ever use a coin album.

8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

From you Doug, that means a lot. Thanks!!! I don't even want to know what damage I have caused to my coin collection over the years sliding those plastic slides back and forth. :yawn:

9. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Yes, AMOS was the first to my knowledge to offer such a package to the public. And with it came the advent of the "self slabbers". But, there are other companies as well that offer the snap lock slabs, such as Collector Safe and Miller Hobby. All three have the MSRP of $1.25 per slab, but you can usually get them in bulk for less.

"Self slabbing". And it is not necessarily the fact that a grade has been attributed to the coin inside, so much as the grade is almost always hyped by four or five grades, as well as the fact that the "self slabber" will try to sell off the slab as "third party" material.

Do not allow the misuse of a good quality product to turn you away from using that product yourself. I use slabs myself for my private collection, as well as for safe shipping, as the slab is a very resourceful way of storing and displaying your coins. Put whatever information you feel you would like to on your slabs. It's yours! if you decide to sell the coin and slab at a later date, you can always remove your labels, usually with ease.

Do whatever makes you feel good, and your coins look great!

Definitely listen to GD on this one! Air-Tites, Capital holders, slabs...whatever your budget will hold! But coin albums are just too risky, especially with better grade coins.

I would caution you here with slabs. There is a definite risk of damage to your coins using slabs, and even ringed Air-Tites, if you use them improperly. Of course, that's true with any form of coin holder. But, if you are going to be "constantly" upgrading your collection, then you must consider how "popping" the coins in and out of the rings are going to possibly affect the coin.

Let's say, for instance you have a matte proof cent that you successfully "pop" into the slab foam. If you happen to find yourself with the opportunity to obtain a higher quality coin, and you obtain it...how do you suppose you will spring your proof free from the foam with harming the coin or the foam? There are a number of ways to do this, of course. But, you will always stand the chance that you may damage either coin in the process. Mirrored proofs are especially prone to damage.

Yet, when looking at it from the other side, you probably stand an even higher chance of damaging your proofs or high end coins using plastic, as you really cannot control how or where the plastic will rub or come into contact with the coin, whereas with the slab or ring, you have a better chance of positioning the coin in such a manner as to minimize the rub of the foam on the coin.

As for the slabs coming apart after snap sealing, I have absolutely no experience with the AMOS Press slabs, but the Miller Hobby and Collector Safe slabs snap fairly tight. With each of those slabs, the snap is so tight, that you need to use a flat head screw driver to apply enough pressure to the slab to open it up. There are two rectangular indentions on either side of the slab for this purpose.

Obviously, no consumer grade holder is "air tight" by any means, but with regards to coin safety, I would have to say that slabs and ringed Air-Tites are the way to go. The foams are designed to fit snuggly around the coin rims, keeping the coin from "rattling" inside and possibly damaging the devices, and the plastic halves snap together and hold tightly, keeping it shut even if it falls to the ground.

Hope some of this information helps you!

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

its amazing how many people never get these common sense things ( not directed towards you Joe)

11. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

You simply cannot go wrong with airtites IMO

12. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

Like 80% of my coins are in albums.

Uh-oh

I think then I might remove some of the more expensive coins from the folder into flips (if they're any better).

13. Niel

Niel Mostly Sane

No one ever mentions the Intercept holders. Very similar in construction to the Air-Tights.

Any thoughts from the group?

14. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

No offense taken Spock. I would be the first one to tell you that I am the biggest idiot when it comes to coin collecting. I have been "collecting" coins my whole life but just seriously got into it because I finally had a job that I could afford some nice coins. But only after when I joined CT and got to know everyone on here just reaffirmed how much I didn't know and what a long way I had to go. But isn't that half the battle.... admitting your faults/weaknesses, then correcting them? The other half is education by books, mags, and CT and this is what I am doing. I want to get better, as does everyone else on here, but I want to do it the right way. Thanks for everyone's comments. Joe

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I've been using Whitman Classic Albums for as long as they have been on the market. I have well over 100 of them and mostly all full. Each one is in a zip lock plastic bag. I've never had a problem with the slides hurting a coin. I've never had a coin tarnish, tone, corrode, etc. I also keep many, many duplicates in 2x2's and have 9 of those Red Whitman type boxes of two rows each full of them. Mostly the albums are in safe deposit boxes and any around here are in a dehumidified home. Been coin collecting for well over 60 years and no problems with any coins yet.
    I'll always recommend Albums so you can easily see all your coins in a series. Not one slabbed coin.

16. monkeyman

monkeyman Coin Hoarder

I mostly use albums. But, most of my coins are low grade. Personally, I would rather be able to see all my coins at once in a nice album then see them all in slabs or airtites...

I understand that we should try to keep all of our coins as nice as possible for the future, but if that goes at expense of enjoying your collection... Then what's the point of collecting coins?

17. GDJMSP

Forget flips eddy, they are worse.

18. GDJMSP

They have been mentioned thousands of times but perhaps not recently. They are great, but expensive.

19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Great thread! I need help...

I'm so glad you all have addressed this issue!

I have purchase foam-ringed airtites for some of my coins. I currently keep these coins in 2X2s in Print File Archival Preservers (usually used for mounted, color-positive photographic slides). Now, my problem:

I would like to put my all of these coins in the airtites I bought. I don't like loose airtites: They're round, and hard to manage. THEREFORE, I'd like to put these "airtited" coins (actually the coins are a S.Korean first-year type set, 25 in all) in an album, or in a holder on the same "page", or some sort of display, so that they are all together. The problem with the plastic flip sheets is that airtites do not fit very well in them, and they slide out the top openings very easily. Also, it's just yet another layer of plastic over the top of the airtites that way too, which drives me crazy when I want to look at the coins.

What I'd like to do is to buy or make my own custom-made "board(s)", like the page of a regular coin album, but without the slides, instead just holes for the airtites to friction-fit in them. The airtites themselves would obviate the need for slides with such an album.

Are there such albums for airtites? I was looking for materials to make something like this. Any ideas? Is this is just a bad idea?

20. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

I think what your talking about IS avalible, checkout air-tites.com. I to have the same dilema with my collection. Sound like alot of us are in the same boat.:desk:

21. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

These albums definitely have PVC. I bought several and should have returned them. New shower smell heaven and I confirmed this by calling ait-tite. Someone showed you can put Lincolns in the half-dollar dansco albums in direct fit air-tites. Maybe it was Midas or one of the old posters. Do a search or Dansco's and maybe it will come up. GD could find it I'm sure

Draft saved Draft deleted