CNA outdoes themselves again for YNs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by umtrr-author, Jul 18, 2007.

1. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

This is a bit of a belated report, but that Day Job just keeps getting in the way of things... :)

The folks at the Canadian Numismatic Association, the national convention for which was held this past week in Niagara Falls, have once again outdone themselves.

Thalia Elizabeth and I attended on Saturday morning. Since I am now the Treasurer of the local club (more about that in another post), I officially attended the Club Breakfast early in the morning and then went back to get our daughter.

Thalia has been looking forward to the Scavenger Hunt since last year, and she wasn't disappointed. As happened last year, there were some challenges to finding all of those Maple Leaf Stickers, but with a hint from ANA Director Walter Ostromecki himself, table #9 of 10 was found and Thalia completed the hunt. The items found ranged from a Canadian Large Cent to a specimen of Canadian Tire "money", but the most important item was the bonus ten dollar certificate to use in the Kids' Auction later that day.

Throughout the hunt, the dealers were all great. Even Heritage Auctions, which was there with a display, got into it, with the rep interrupting his conversation about much more expensive items to ensure that Thalia received her item from that table. The representative from the British Royal Mint and the folks at the Trajan Publishing table (Canadian Coin News, Canadian Stamp News) made a special effort to talk to the kids.

Even before the Scavenger Hunt, Thalia got a goodie bag with several items including a sample slabbed State Quarter.

But it was in the kids auction that the CNA and its donors really outdid themselves. There were more than one hundred lots available! We're not talking common circulated items either, as you'll see in a moment. Each Young Numismatist who registered was given 100 auction dollars to spend in the auction, so with Thalia's bonus, she had 110 available.

Parents and guardians were not allowed to participate or coach! No worries, though, these kids knew what they wanted and bidding was spirited. In fact, the kids ran out of auction money before the auction was over!

With her gift of 110 auction dollars, Thalia got:

- A lot of Uncirculated or Proof Like Canadian dimes from the 60s through the 80s.
    - An 1859 Canadian Large Cent
    - A set of the Millenium Quarters from 2000. Thalia already had the 1999s, as she told me several times. (She was right.)
    - A set of two of the "Canada on the Wing" sterling silver 50 cent pieces from 1995, these two being the Puffin and the Whooping Crane.
    - One of the "Birds of Prey" coins, also a 50 cent sterling silver piece, the Owl. (Very appropriate considering the pending release of the Harry Potter book this weekend!) Believe it or not, there was an entire set of the "Birds of Prey" available in the auction as well-- Thalia was outbid on that one by another YN who also had 110 auction dollars total to spend.

I'll try to take some photos and post them here later.

I was, as I was last year, completely impressed with and genuinely touched by the generosity, care and patience that the CNA members showed to the children who are the future of the hobby.

Next year, they're going to get some US coins for the Treasure Hunt from Thalia and I...

Oh, and guess who wound up being quoted in the local newspaper...?

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/we...?contentid=613035&catname=Local News&classif=

Thalia is really a lucky girl!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. umtrr-author

And by the way, Thalia and I are now looking to complete the Canada's Wildlife Series... there are 24 total 50 cent sterling silver coins so she's one-eighth of the way already!

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

George ya know that kid of yours is gonna be famous one of these days ;)

5. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Sounds like you and Thalia had an awesome day!

6. Topher

Topher New Member

Now I'm really sorry that I couldn't make it. My son would have absolutely loved it! Oh well, I guess it gives us something to look forward to next year.

7. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

I went to the mock auction at the summer FuN show, it was great. I bought a NGC 1961 PF67 with my funny money.

8. umtrr-author

Next year the CNA Convention will be in Ottawa. I think there will be some events relating to the Royal Canadian Mint there. Fortunately, it's still a drivable distance for us, although I don't know what the passport situation will be for crossing the border. (I have one but Thalia Elizabeth doesn't.)

For 2009, the CNA moves west, I believe to Calgary but I'd have to check.

9. Topher

Topher New Member

Ottawa would be an overnight trip for us, so now I'm really sorry I didn't make the trip to Niagara Falls. That would have been a one day trip. Oh well, we'll see if his collecting bug is on or off when the time comes.

10. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

That's pretty awesome. :thumb:

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

George great report & I am looking forwards to the pics :smile :smile

12. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

that sounds like a great event to build future collectors. it seems she had a great time and really made out with some nice coins

-steve

Draft saved Draft deleted