Chinese silver dollar coin with extra dots,rainbow and torns error?A new discovery?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coin_lover, Sep 7, 2009.

1. coin_lover

coin_lover Junior Member

Hi everyone,nice to see you all again.I need help from the coin experts to identify this coin with this unique error.This is a Chinese 1920(9 years) yuan shih kai silver dollar coin from my collection.Obviously,there are a few things "Extra" appeared on obverse and reverse sides surface(both sides),

On obverse side,
    There are two unusual dots and a hair line appeared on the left and right of the uniform.

On reverse side,
    There is a rainbow with a few lines just right below the chinese word "yuan" and one of the leaf on the right side has short and long sharp torns on it but the leaf on the left side with no torns at all clearly showing on the last scan.Seems the "yuan" is right on the rainbow and the only leaf on the right side that grow sharp torns on it.Everytime I try to use my fingernail to dig the torns part softly and my fingernail would struck there from getting through,this is to confirm the torn die is there.

In my personal opinion,I would consider it as "Unique error silver coin" becouse I have never seen before something like this(especially the rainbow and torn parts)appeared on this Chinese yuan shih kai silver dollar coin and probably Im the first person who discovered this error parts.I also believe Chinese silver coin with error is certainly very very rare.

Unfortunely,I really have no idea what happend to this errors and die during process and unable to confirm if it is a new discovery on chinese silver coin or not.So I need help and opinion from the error coin expert to identifying the errors and die of it,help is always apprieciated from me.Remember to click,enlarge and view every superlarge scans below and see error parts carefully(ERROR PARTS POINTS BY RED AAROW).Anyway,I hope to hear from you very soon.Thank you and have a nice day.:confused::confused::confused:

NOTE:THIS COIN IS GUARANTEE 100% ORIGINAL AND GENUINE CHINESE SILVER COIN BUT NOT COUNTERFEIT AND REPRODUCTION TYPE BECOUSE IT WAS PASSED DOWN FROM MY GRANDMA TO MY FATHER FROM CHINA ON LAST TIME.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

No need to yell!

Besides, age and provenance are not guarantees of genuineness, since there were many, many contemporary counterfeits.

4. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

The surface of the coin indicates that it could very well be a counterfeit. In that case whatever that is really doesn't matter much.

The weakness of the details of the wreath also contributes to the good possibility that the coin is fake.

Not knowing where it came from in today's climate of Chinese counterfeit coins makes this coin suspect.

Thanks,
    Bill

PS: Coins being passed down from one generation to another doesn't matter either. They've been counterfeited for generations.

PPS: Even though there is a fair chance that the coin is not genuine, the marks are from clashed dies and that's not a valuable error type anyway. It would make a genuine coin worth about 20 bucks tops.

5. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

Is there a "Roll eyes so hard that they burst from the top of my skull" smiley?

Joe

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Can you give us the weight of the coin? And WELCOME to the forum.
    Your arrows are pointing at what looks like clash marks.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I agree struck from clashed dies, but I would also agree that I believe it is quite possibly fake.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I don't know if your coin is fake or not. Who you got it from doesn't have anything to do with whether it's fake or not. The first pic of the reverse shows bad dentils and at around 2 o'clock it clearly shows a tuft around the rim of the coin. Surely these don't prove that it's a fake but you really do have to remain open minded about these things. good luck to you

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I do not think it is a fake.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

agreed on both accounts.

actually all three comments.

11. coin_lover

coin_lover Junior Member

Jello,youre right and I fully agree with you that it is not a fake coin.:D:D:D.Your are quite good to see this coin if it is genuine or not.Anyway,keep it up with your good work.:thumb:

12. coin_lover

coin_lover Junior Member

Yeah,It is a clashed die but I disagree with you that it is a fake coin becouse I also have a fake coin exactly same like this to compare with this coin.It is so much difference when I put and compared them together.The fake coin has just got rusty on both surface,head slightly moved to right,part of the chinese word writting is missing and the sound of the coin is difference than the real coin.

13. coin_lover

coin_lover Junior Member

Anyway,I do not think this silver coin with die clash error is very common becouse I have not seen one before selling on ebay and other auction website.It is very common happens on the us coins,correct me if im wrong.

14. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

eehh, I wouldn't touch that coin with a 20 foot pole.

[​IMG]

15. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Not all fakes are identical my friend. The only valid comparison is with a known genuine coin.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So you know this one is real because you have a fake coin that is EXACTLY like it except that it is very different. OK.

17. just coins

just coins New Member

The coin is genuine there's no indication of a fake Nice Clash die / Now that's a normal pressure for clash die marks not some coin I know.
    JC

18. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

On the obverse of this coin is Yuan Shih-Kai's profile. Above it there are 7 Chinese characters, means made in the 9th year of The Republic of China. On the reverse, are 2 Chinese characters, means one dollar within a double good harvest designs.
    I don't believe it to be genuine.

19. fretboard

20. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Actually the one on e-bay shows better detail. Notice the hair, the mustache and the shoulder piece.

21. fretboard

Yeah I see what you mean!! Also on the one pic that's posted on this forum the man's mustache has a little longer mustache hangin'. funny

Draft saved Draft deleted