chinese pandas - original packaging

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by sky, Sep 16, 2009.

1. sky

sky Member

in another post i mentioned my intent to possibly liquidate some of my chinese pandas. they are all from 2002-2009. the older ones from that list are all in the original packaging while the last few years are out of their original packaging.

how much of a "hit" should i expect for the ones out of the packaging? also, generally, what is the going rate for these? i have been searching on ebay to get an idea and it seems as if the prices are all over the place. is this due to a majority of the auctions coming from overseas, with questionable product? it seems as if the auctions based in the us are showing quite higher returns percentage-wise.

i realize i would not get the return that apmex gets from their sale of these items, but as an example, their 2003 panda sells for 42.99 without shipping. am i setting my sights too high to hope for a return even remotely in the neighborhood?

thank you yet again

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i like the panda with capsule. it should be that way.

4. sky

sky Member

you know, i agree in terms of resale. i have from 2002-2009 in the mint packaging that i plan on keeping. i have an "extra" set of them from 2002-2009 and i was going to place them all in intercepts because i honestly like them better in those holders. it was after some thought that i wanted to go in another direction with those. so here i am.

5. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Here is my two cents on this matter. If it were me, I would be interested in a set still in the original mint capsuls AND that plastic outer pouch. This is how my local dealer sells them. Also like the Canadian ones.

If they were out of the OMP, then I would like to see them all in a nice Dansco album. Even if you didn't have the whole set, I believe that displaying them in the album is more attractive than not.

But who knows what will happen in todays market. Some people may not care whether they are in the original packaging or not and decide to spend just as much money as if they were. Hope this helps.

6. sky

sky Member

i agree with you. i think i am going to continue with the one set i have going in both the capsule and the plastic outer pouch, while looking to liquidate all the others.

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I like to buy mine in the capsule and plastic pouch - not really sure why as even those pouches are counterfeited...

A dansco album might look good too, i would have to see it though. The Pandas are such great looking coins, its hard to imagine them not looking good in an album lol

8. highroller4321

highroller4321 Junior Member

You will take a HUGE hit if that pandas are not in their original packaging. There are LOTS and LOTS of fake pandas out there. It may even be hard to sell them in the original packaging. With the recent rise of silver the premiums havent gone up to much but I think $22-$24 seems to be the going rate.

Draft saved Draft deleted