Toned Roosevelt's.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

What do you think they'd grade and what do you think they are worth? Consolidating stuff for other stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Redbook should suffice for those I'd think.

4. DysfunctionalVeteran

Red book doesn't help me figure out the grade. Another interesting thing is the error on the 1948-S reverse to the right of "unum". Any listing on that error?

5. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Nice coins, all have a shot on MS66.

eddiespin likes this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

what do you see?

I see nothing.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Have you ever considered buying a copy of "ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins"?

Chris

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

check this out:

Whitman Publishing:

Coin Reference Books Item Number:0794838243
    Official ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins - 7th Edition
    $19.95
    Add to Cart
    In Stock and Ready to Ship!
    Ask a Question Shipping Options Terms & Conditions
    Add to Wishlist
    Now, for the first time, in full color! The updated and revised seventh edition of this comprehensive guide spells out the official American Numismatic Association grading standards for each United States coinage series. Every coin minted since 1793, from half cents to gold double eagles to commemoratives, is studied in 384 pages of easy-to-follow text and photographs.
    • Convenient spiralbound hardcover binding.
    • Every standard grade is illustrated and described in detail.
    • Text descriptions of 30 levels pinpoint grades from Poor to Mint State.
    • High-resolution photographs illustrate exactly what to look for.
    • All eleven Mint State levels are discussed in detail.
    • Now in full color, from cover to cover.
    • The only grading guide sponsored and endorsed by the American Numismatic Association.
    The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins, seventh edition, is an indispensable aid to properly grading U.S. coins—the very foundation of smart buying, selling, and collecting.
    [​IMG]

charlietig likes this.
  9. DysfunctionalVeteran

Seems like too many pages just to find out a grade and much easier just to ask someone's opinion here. :meh:

10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

I think the first one is BU...(butt ugly)...sorry, DV, just don't like the look...like a soda was spilled on it.

11. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

It is easier to ask here, but then you never truly learn how to grade yourself. And that's half the battle.

12. DysfunctionalVeteran

What about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nathan401 likes this.
  13. DysfunctionalVeteran

Grading is subjective and what one person grades a coin might be different that what the person sitting next to him grades it. We all learn things differently.

Buying a book about grading is just that authors opinion on grading. I learn better by posting a photo then asking what it grades at then comparing it to others that are graded at that number. That and the GTG threads.

14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The money coin in the image you posted is the 1949 S that's the key to this set...... however less than two months ago I could of purchased a 49 S graded by pcgs for under $60 in 66/67 grade. Someone posted the link here that a seller had flooded the market ms-63 - ms-68 49 S Roosevelt dimes .
    Now understand you have what looks to be some nice toners. Finding a buyer willing to pay for them at retail or above good luck.
    From what you have posted $150-200.maybe ,a dealer cut that in half . Now those boards you have the dimes in around $20-30 each.

15. DysfunctionalVeteran

Thanks for that. Just what I was looking for.

16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Not so the book Frank pointed out is gospel of grading based on the wear and coin design . So it's not a option it is what is......in here it's all based on opinions. You can see it every time a toned or blast white coin is posted.
    Some don't like toning so right away they have an attitude against the coin. Regardless if the coin is Au. or ms70

17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nice coins! I really love Roosevelt dimes, which is funny because Im not a fan of FDR, at any rate, they are easy to find, and I'm always picking up beautiful BU examples at silver melt prices.

18. DysfunctionalVeteran

19. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

Just a 1956 dime with a bit of toning around the edge. I felt it was worth 4 bucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

As usual, my pictures don't do the coin justice. Neither do all the scratches on the slab! 20161218_094935.jpg

20161218_094743.jpg

20161218_094907.jpg

21. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted