celtic? or fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by trussell, Sep 3, 2004.

1. trussell

trussell Active Member

Can anyone help identify this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

It is hard to tell from a scan. The coin has an odd color for silver or gold. It is a copper alloy? As far as I know there are no copper Celtic coins like this.

When you bought it, what did the dealer's attribution say?

Michael

4. trussell

trussell Active Member

celtic?

It's a copper alloy. It belongs to a friend who got it from her father. That's all I know. Thanks.

5. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I know nothing about these coins (if it is one), but my impression is that it is fake. I say this because the fields are either corroded or rough from casting (a sign or a fake), but the devices are smooth and clear. Also, it looks brass - I think ancient/middle ages coins tended to be either gold, silver, or copper (or bronze).

Just my opinion.

6. archeoserf

archeoserf New Member

We have found two of these in the Netherlands. I also have collected images of 2 in Australia, one in New Zealand and one in Rome. One face is clearly a copy of the Philip II tetradrachm. The other should be the head of Zeus if it is a genuine Celtic coin. The general opinion is that these are tourist souvenirs. What surprises us is the wide distribution. It would be nice to know who made them and when. Most of the coins have been found with a metal detector.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i don't think its an ancient coin, look like some type of fantasy piece maybe?

8. archeoserf

archeoserf New Member

Many more now being reported in Europe. What's more analysis shows that they are a copper-zinc alloy(brass) which would rule out any Celtic source. 95% chance
    that they are indeed fantasy pieces. There will always be 5% who believe in a miraculous find.

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

It looks like fake. I'm sorry, Sir:(

archeoserf likes this.
  10. Weird

Weird New Member

Any news about this coin? We have dug up one in Sweden as well, in a garden where we also found a swedish 1751 coin. This is somewhat of a mystery.

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

it looks like one side is imitating philip ii coin...

[​IMG]

and the other the reverse of a celtic coin imitating a philip ii coin....

[​IMG]

none of these are my coins.

12. Weird

Weird New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted