Carolus Iii D.g.hisp.rex 1773

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lenhambleton, Sep 19, 2003.

1. lenhambleton

lenhambleton New Member

I am looking for help in identifying a 1773 spanish coin. I can find similar in the same year, but not this one.

On the obverse side is a bust of carolus III facing left (our right) surrounded by "CAROLUS III D.G.HISP.REX 1773". There is an "8" (8 reales) on the right side and what appears to be a chinese symbol left of the bust (the symbol is raised rather that 'chopped'). The reverse is a coat of armor with a wreath around the outside.

Can anyone help me identify this coin or tell where I might find it?

Thanks,
    Len

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

It is Spanish, it is copper, and the denomination is 8 maravedis.

The funny mark you note to the left of the bust is actually supposed to repreesent an aqueduct. This is the mint mark of Segovia, where that particular coin was minted.

You will find it referenced in Krause Mischler's Standard catalogue of World Coins (1701 - 1800) under Spain as 29.2.

It's in a nice collectable condition for that type of coin.

Ian

4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

The M with the crown on top is the mintmark for the Madrid mint. During that era, Spain had a lot of different mint facilities, mostly in the new world. Do you happen to have a complete listings with images of each of the mintmarks Spain used Ian?

5. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Peter,

In the early days of spanish homeland coinage, the mints were (like their French equivalents, but with a few notable exceptions) mainly identified by letters, as in:-

B = Burgos

BA = Barcelona

BGA = Berga

Bo = Bilbao

A mark in the shape of a scallop shell = Coruna

C or CA = Cuenca

C = Catalonia (late 1700's and 1800's)

a crowned `C' = Cadiz

G, and also a flower over a G = Granada

J, JA =Jubia

M, a crowned `M', conjoined MD = Madrid

P, p.P, P.L., PA = Pamplona

S or SL, or S/L = Seville

Sr = Santander

an aqueduct (quite literally, an image of an old roman aqueduct as appears in the image provided at the start of this thread) = Segovia

T, To, Tole =Toledo (also appears on occasion with a little `o' on the top of the `T'

Flags (like three windsocks on the one flag pole, one above the other) = Valladolid. It looks like a symbol for flowing water.

V or VA or Val = Valencia

During the period 1848 -1980 there was the `star' mint marks system. The number of point on the star indicating where the coin was minted.

3 points (Segovia after 1868)
    4 points ( Jubia)
    6 points ( Madrid)
    7 points ( Seville)
    8 points ( Barcelona)

After 1982 Spain decided to re-introduce the long since defunct crowned `M' as the mint mark of Madrid, which is now the sole official mint in Spain.

Hope that helps. It would take too long to scan images of all of these (I don't think I have all of them anyway), and in any event the descriptions are fairly self explanatory. :^)

Ian

6. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I have a small collection of Spanish Colonials from that era. One thing about the mintmarks is that if you see a plan M, you might think it's Madrid when it's actually Mexico City. I don't think there were any coppers minted in the colonies.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh but there were Peter. Copper maravedis were minted in Mexico as well.

By the way Ian - I knew you were a fan of the French coins butI didn't know you were a fan of the Spanish & colonials as well. We will have to visit this subject ;)

8. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

A dark horse I be! ;^)

My collection of Spanish and Spanish colonial is somewhat limited.

An interesting little booklet (20 pages) which should be fairly easily obtained (reprinted from The Numismatist) is : `Copper Coins of Spain' by O.P. Eklund (1962). Treats the subject of Spanish coppers from Ferdinand and Isabella (1474) through to Alphonso III, the Pretenders, Spanish Provinces and Cities, Majorca, and the Philippines. It is nothing fancy, but good data that you might struggle to find elsewhere.

It notes the Catalonian issues of Louis XIII and XIV of France during its occupation of 1641-52.

No latin america however....but just like collecting coins....can't have everything. :)

Ian

9. Erika

Erika New Member

4 Carolus III coins

I am living in Spain right now and I found 4 Carolus III coins in my apartment. One is from 1767, one is from 1768, and the other two are from 1770. They all seem to be in good condition. Does anyone know what these coins might be worth?

10. GDJMSP

Assuming they are genuine - for there are many counterfeits - it would depend entirely on the condition of the coins. If you can post pics I would be happy to try and help establish an approximate value.

11. Sand Sleuth

Sand Sleuth New Member

Hello, I have a few questions for you.

I was out detecting and found a coin that looks like that, and have done some research and think that it is the same kind. Two questions though:

1) Is that coin a little smaller than a dime?

and

2) Does anyone know if that coin was ever minted in silver, not copper?

Thanks for any help.

12. Canon

Canon New Member

help needed...

can anybody help me identify this coin????
    its a carolus III 1776 coin

is this real???

how much would it be worth...

thanks

13. Canon

Canon New Member

help needed...

can anybody help me identify this coin????
    its a carolus III 1776 coin

is this real???

how much would it be worth...

thanks

Attached Files:

14. GDJMSP

Howdy Canon - Welcome to the Forum !!

Unfortunately I believe the coin you pictured is a counterfeit. Now I can't say for certain without seeing the coin in person - but there are several details that are incorrect. Here is a pic of a genuine coin for to see for yourself.

Look at the detail of the face - in particular the mouth. There are others but that one is obvious.

[​IMG]

Look at the details of the crown - in particular the central support. Again then are others but that is the easiest to see.

[​IMG]

Were your coin genuine it would be worth approx $250 - $300.

15. GDJMSP

Sand Sleuth -

My apologies for missing your post - don't know how that happened. But to answer your question - yes they did mint coins like this about the size of a dime. And they were struck in silver. They are known as a 1/2 reale. The design is basically the same with a few differences because of the coins size. For example the legends are different - more abreviated.

16. Sand Sleuth

Sand Sleuth New Member

Gdjmsp - Thanks For The Reply - Finally Had Chance To Get Back On-line .... That Will Help ... Thanks Again

17. maxieldulce

maxieldulce New Member

new member new coins

hi everybody i have some coins that you may found interest including the carolus III 1789 and carolus IIII 1804 although there are damage not in great shape but after all this years is not sorprising is it? well here are some pictures of my favorites coins enjoy it

18. maxieldulce

maxieldulce New Member

me again

dunno why i cant post anyway dont hesitate to ask me to show you i will happily send to peoples email, also i have one coin that is very damage and i cant see what it says if you cant help me that would be nice , bye

19. maxieldulce

maxieldulce New Member

20. GDJMSP

Howdy maxieldulce - Welcome to the Forum !!

To be able to post pics here you either have to have the pics on your own web site or use the Manage Attachments link below the reply box. But if for some reason you cannot - then feel free to email me the pics and I'll post them for you. You can send an email to me through the Forum by clicking on my name anyplace you see it underlined ;)

21. maxieldulce

maxieldulce New Member

im trying to post it now

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted