Canadian Coins Hard to get in USA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wayne1949, Jun 1, 2007.

1. wayne1949

wayne1949 New Member

I was reading the article in Coin News regarding the 2004 Candian Poppy 25 Cent I thought was very humours. Do you suppose they will ban this coin in the US..lol.
    Serioulsy I am wondering if this coin will be now hard to get in the US. These coins where handed out through Tim Hortons.
    Also the latest news on the Olympic coins being produced for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Some dealers have been banned to sell these coins outside of Canada. So if you see one boys and girls, hand on to it.

Cheers

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

canadian coins are often hard to find, however I have noticed that some smaller dealers often have a bigger selection, going through small dealers helped me put together my bluenose dime set

4. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

The '04 poppy quarters that we've seen in circulation in Canada lately have lost a lot of the red in the center. Canadian change makes its way down here quite a bit, but it's more the cents and dimes we see.

I've not heard of the ban on selling the 2010 Olympic coins out of Canada, but were I interested, I'd just buy them in Canada on the next trip (perhaps at the CNA) and "export" them.

5. wayne1949

wayne1949 New Member

True the red in these coins wear away very fast. Going to be hard to get one intact.
    However the article was about a US defence contrator thought he discovered a nanotech-enabled spy coin. Meaning one could put a spy camera in the dark part of the poppy..lol. Thought that was so funny. But "hello" ya never know with all this security stuff going on these days. I was wondering if this article would make a run on getting ones hands on this peace.
    As far as the 2010 Olympic coins, its was on the news just the other day. Seems the Olympic committee wants to controll all rights of distrabuation of these coins to stay in Canada only.

Cheers

Wayne, please turn on Private Messaging

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Wayne,I think that it is pretty dumb for the export of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games commemorative coins to be banned from being exported out of Canada.It will be impossible for collectors in countries nowhere near Canada to get these coins.It would be cool to have these coins in my collection.

Aidan.

7. coinman101

coinman101 Collector Of All Coins

Well, since Twiggs lives in Canada, maybe she will trade us some for coins native to our countries.
    Just an idea.

8. wayne1949

wayne1949 New Member

Hey guys I agree. But it seems the dealers are buying these coins up by the hoards and selling them anywhere they can. I have found five in circulation so far, and I live in Vancouver. But I can go to a dealer and buy as many as I can afford at thier rates. Its a 2007 Coin so not in any guides yet to find the mintage.
    Anyway they are very nice coins.

Cheers

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I can guess that if they miss out on getting listed in the 2008 Krause,they will more than likely get listed in the 2009 Krause.

Aidan.

10. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

The Olympic coins even though are Canadian currency is still considered Official Olympic merchandise, and since RCM only has right to sell official merchandise inside Canada neither the RCM or there primary distributors are allowed to sell the coins to non-Canadians. But that does not apply to secondary sellers so they can still be bought by non-Canadians, you just have to look a little harder.

11. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Where exactly do you get the infomation that some dealers are banned from selling Olympics coins overseas??? That's a hoax I believe, perhaps just to hype up the "rarity" of such coins.

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Gxseries,I can guess that you will be wanting to get those Winter Olympic Games coins.

Aidan.

13. wayne1949

wayne1949 New Member

The news comes from CTV News. The Oylmpic committee is getting very strict on the use of their emblem and anything that has anything to do with the Olympic Games. Some dealers have been told to take these coins off their web sties as they are trying to stop the sale of these coins outside of Canada. Some are asking why only some dealers have been told to do this.
    Maybe its because some Dealers buy huge amounts of these coins and sell outside of Canada. When there is only so many that are going to be minted. Politics I am guessing.

Cheers

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Wayne,I am surprised that the 2010 Winter Olympic Games Organising Committee is being so petty regarding these coins.Perhaps,the Canadian federal government & the Bank of Canada should intervene in this matter,as the ban on selling these coins outside Canada is just ridiculous.If you can get these coins in your change,then they should not be subject to the restrictions imposed by the 2010 Winter Olympic Games Organising Committee.

Aidan.

15. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

Wayne, I think you are right because these coins in general circulation is basically ZERO

16. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

Considering how the value of the some (many?) of the other Canadian Olympic coins has... er, well, uh, let's just say it they haven't appreciated very much... I can't imagine that the Olympic anyone would want to order a restriction on who they can be sold to. How many people would just give up on not only these but any other future issuances?

This would be a clear case of the Committee, et al shooting themselves in the foot, which, when I last checked, was not yet a certified Olympic event.

17. Twiggs

Twiggs Coin Collector

yeah...why is it canadian coins dont appreciate like american coins?

18. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Twiggs,I was wondering that myself.I regard the Canadian coin series as being an underappreciated one,considering that there are varieties that are listed in Charlton,but have never been listed in Krause,such as the brass 1c. coin dated 1859,for example.

Aidan.

19. Defiant7

There was an article in Canadian Coin New Volume 45, Number 2 May 15 to 28 2007 issue. The article starts on the cover page and then leads to page 24.

20. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Defiant7,can you please post some photos of the relevent pages for the benefit of those who are unable to view a copy of the Canadian Coin News for one reason or another?

Aidan.

21. Defiant7

I believe these restrictions come from the IOC themselves so the Federal Government and RCM would of known of these restrictions well before the Olympic coin program started, and would have to agree to these terms if they wanted to make the coins. I also believe these restrictions apply to any Official Olympic merchandise not just coins, so if they do not have International distribution rights they can only sell in there native country.

Draft saved Draft deleted