Canadian 50c. coin discussion.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aidan Work, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Here's a section about Canadian 50c. coins.Does the Canadian 50c. coin turn up in change,or is it in a very similar situation as the American $1/2 coin? Have you ever had the commemorative Canadian 50c. coins in your change? What do you think of them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

I've NEVER seen it come up in my change.

A couple of years ago for kicks I picked up a few new rolls of 2002 halfs and took any opportunity to use them. Most of the time the reaction was "What's that? I've never seen that before!" and on several occasions, "I'm going to keep it!"

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,could you please post some scans of one of these coins? I can guess that it is one of the Queen's Golden Jubilee ones.Did you ever find the town of Swastika on a map of Ontario?

5. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

I'll see if I have any more lying around so I can take a picture..

As for Swastika, I did find it on an older road map of Ontario. My more recent road maps do not have it listed in the index, although the town is certainly there on the map when I checked. Anyhow, it is very close to Kirkland Lake, which is approx. 600 km north of Toronto. That's just a little further than the distance between Toronto and Montreal.

6. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

I got a 50¢ coin in change at the Post Office a couple of months ago. That's the first time I can ever remember that happening.

7. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

Let's just say that these days, getting a 50c in change in Canada is about as likely as getting a 1c in change in Australia or N.Z.

8. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

I have never seen a 50 pc from Canada in circulation. But I have bought 2 2000 QE2 Jubilee
    ¢50 coins.

9. WhispTech

WhispTech Senior Member

I have gotten a couple 50 cent pieces as change. I also see them given as change at the coin store I help out at every once in awhile when they have a lot of common stuff.

10. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

Well, have you gotten any in change not from a coin store? Picking them up for face at a store's the easy way... lol

11. WhispTech

WhispTech Senior Member

Yes.

As I stated earlier I have gotten them as change and it was not a coin store. But like corner store and such.

12. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

Really?! Never heard of that, at least not in the last 20 years or so.

13. WhispTech

WhispTech Senior Member

not like it happens every day

But a couple times a year I see them.

14. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

That's still very unusual. I've never got one (or heard of anyone getting one in the last 20 years or so) my whole life outside of a coin shop, bank, or PO (2002).

15. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I have heard that the design on the Canadian Coat-of-Arms 50c. coin has been modified.In what way has the Canadian Coat-of-Arms been modified?

16. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

There's been many modifications over the years. In the last decade, there was a significant change in 1997. The 2002 piece has a modified design (legend got moved) that's quite ugly IMO. I don't think I have any newer 50c to show pics of.

17. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

Had to dig around my change jar but finally found a half that I hadn't dispensed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like the obverse design but not too pleased with the reverse.

18. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

That's probably because that's an old obverse design and not one of those new ones!

19. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,that is a nice coin.I'm pleased that you picked up a whole lot of these coins.I have go the 1c.,the 5c.,the 10c.,& the 25c. coins in the same series.

Draft saved Draft deleted