Can anyone identify this ancient coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zaneman, Dec 23, 2005.

1. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

There is some crud on the back I'm working on, so I'll post the reverse when I can. Here is a picture of the obverse.

Attached Files:

• coin.jpg
      coin.jpg
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

The diameter is about 15 millimeters

4. Skylark

Skylark Senior Member

looks roman, can you post the other side?

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Your coin is most likely a bronze of Constantius II from 337-361 AD,son of Constantine The Great.I think the inscription is: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS AVG, draped & cuirassed bust right.The first part stands for Flavius Julius.
    It would help a lot if you could show a photo of the reverse though.

6. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

The inscription looks exactly as you listed, here is a picture of the reverse. It has some crud on it, and I'm not sure how I am going to remove it. Thinking about a q-tip and some acetone, but I'd like to know if this is a valuable coin before proceeding. Here is a picture of the reverse. There are two soldiers on the reverse, which is hard to tell from the scan.

Attached Files:

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

That's the right reverse for this coin,two soldiers standing holding spears, shields, and two military standards between them, probably the most common reverse design on Constantius II coins.The inscrition should read GLORIA EXCERCITVS,when you get it further cleaned.Nice coin!

8. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

Do you happen to know if it has any value? I found it in my room, so it must have come from somewhere. I'm honestly not sure how it got here. I'm guessing it was in a box of coins or something I had lying around.

9. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Equal to Julius Caesar or Alexander

Unless your room is the site of an ancient fort or one of the oldest known churches, then this is probably as common as you think it is. These Constantines are $1 junk coins, even when cleaned. If you are a real aficianado for the period, and you know the family history, have the books, put the maps up on your walls, read Julian the Apostate at bedtime, and all that, then fine. Otherwise, you are trying to breathe life into a numismatic corpse.

In fact, I recommend that you do read the history of this period. See if there is anything compelling to you. Most of us find it a disappointing and downward slide. The eastern Roman empire does not recover until the time of Justinian and Belisarius. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belisarius
    However, I have met at least one collector who had a real passion for the late Roman empire, so enjoy your preferences.

10. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Mike is right about the value of some of these little bronze coins.I am trying to put together a set of all the Roman emperors that I can (85 so far) and don't think I've paid more than $12 for even the cleanest strikes with fully legible inscriptions, but I can't afford to buy gold or silver coins of each.They're nice to own for the history but not really for investment.

11. hajdisaur

hajdisaur New Member

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

13. hajdisaur

hajdisaur New Member

14. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I was told in the $15-$30 range, depending on the condition of course.

B

15. ccg

ccg New Member

Kang Hsi, 1662-1722 (I those those are the dates). Would need to see other side to put a value on it. Commons would be $2 or so.

$15-30 would have to be a pretty scarce cash coins, few are worth more than $5

Draft saved Draft deleted