buying "kilo" silver bars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Joshycfl, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

For some reason, I just love the size of Kilo bars. Not too big, but not too small. My question to you all is, how liquid are they? I know silver is silver, but I also know that when its time to sell, and I know I will someday in the future, will it be harder than if I just stuck to 1oz rounds and 10oz bars?

They would be Apmex stamped .999
    [​IMG]

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Depends on who you are selling to. To a dealer, should be very liquid. Just remember, if silver goes way up, you may have to report some income from it. 1oz bars can be sold at flea markets and whatnot for a higher premium, but there is more work involved. If TSHTF, you would probably want 90% coins. It would be kinda hard to shave off chunks from a kilo to buy things.

4. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

I'm not a big believer in shtf scenarios, I do it more so as a "wealth accumulator". Silver is only a part of my diversification arsenal. And with the 1oz bars, I find that I buy at these premiums and end up being told by buyers "mostly dealers" that they only want to buy at spot, or close to it.

As for the big IRS problem, they are ISO certified, so i guess I could put them in my IRA?

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Kilo sounds like the way to go for you then. Your premiums should be much lower. And its a powerful feeling to hold such a large chunk of silver. Somehow it seems heavier. LOL

6. WmsJewelers

WmsJewelers New Member

As a dealer the most easy thing to buy and sell are 100 oz bars. That is also what I hold most of my silver in. That and 10oz bars. Just a nice price point to right around $150. Kilo bars are popular over seas but not so much around here. Then again if you really think TSWHTF it won't matter. Remember back in 1980 if any one paid attention then. ALL the gold and silver turned in was MELTED. Didn't matter what it was. $20 Saints and Libs. KRands 90% EVERYTHING. this is because at such a high price there were no buyers.

I say get a size that works with what you can afford. 1oz all the way up to 1000oz bars. They do make them and I have had them. Talk about a loaf of silver. If I ever get enough silver I will trade my 10s and 100s in for one just to say I have one.

7. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

I hear ya. Although I don't remember the 80's (i'm only 23), I do understand that silver IS silver, in the since of larger bars. And Kilo's would be perfect for the "once a month buys"

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Liquidity of kilo bars... If you buy from Kitco and purchase their Kitco produced products, they have a repurchase guarantee.
    See: http://www.kitco.com/silver/
    Not sure if AMPEX has any guarantee, but they always offer their buy/sell prices so you know what they are taking if you are selling. I like the 'transparency' of these two options in this respect.

Yes, the Kilo bars are a great size. I just think that you should have some variation on your fractional sizes for balancing out trades/resale later if you seek to sell specific amounts or odd amounts, not just rounded to the nearest kilo.

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I agree. The only thing I woud add is that the best time to sell anything in bulk, inlcuding silver, is when the demand is strong.

10. maksimfa

maksimfa New Member

for the ICSHTF situations... you will need more than coins. =P see sig below. =P

11. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

buying kilo or bar. go for round.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Draft saved Draft deleted