Bust Half

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by shatsi, Feb 21, 2006.

1. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I'm thinking of buying one of these two bust halves. I would like your opinions on the grade and your advice on which one to pick. The 1832 is O-106 at $95 and the 1833 is O-104 at $150 I've never liked toned coins but I like the 1833. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Nice Bust Halves,especially the 1833.For the grade I'd say VF35 and EF45.On which one to pick that's your choice but for me I would pick the 1833.;) B12

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I wouldn't buy either....they have been cleaned...and I bet that one might be AT.

Speedy

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

i actually have the page open for the 1833 in my browser from the site, because i was considering it. Its priced right if you consider that the coins on heritage that sold are not as nicely toned. I'm going to hold off on buying it if you like it.

Ruben

6. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I think the one on the right is artificially toned.

7. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

I'm not so sure, the dealer that is selling it is VERY highly respected. I find it unlikely that he would be fooled by AT and if he isn't fooled I find it even more unlikely that he wouldn't mention it.

It looks to me like it was toned in an old style album. As for cleaned, yeah probably, but most were.

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Sadly, the majority of bust coinage is/has been cleaned. You have to weight the price you can afford or want to pay against the condition of the coin. Both are very nice pieces and have at some point been in the pocket or saddle bag which caused the wear. As far as the toning on the right coin I have a silver dollar in a leather pouch which is currently developing the same 'patina :D' I move it around once every other week or so and there is definitely a darkening near the rims which shades to yellow in the center. Probably in the chemicals used in the leather preservation.

Thus the question, AT or NT. Plastic containers and denim jeans weren't available in 1830, but wooden box's and leather pouches were, so...

You won't go wrong with either of those coins. The price seems a bit high but who knows what the future holds.

Bone

9. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Thanks for everyones opinion. I had already reserved the 1833 in the morning as I knew people would be interested in it. I like this dealer as he describes any problems his coins has.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Both coins have been cleaned. Most bust halves have. Consider that when you try figure out the value.

The second coin is a blatant AT job, IMHO. The colors are not the right progression.

That being said, it is an attractive coin, and if you like it more than you like the $150, then by all means get it. :)

Take care....Mike

11. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Nice way of saying it:smile

OK, what's your opinion on this bust half.

Attached Files:

• 1833.jpg
      1833.jpg
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
  12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Well, I'll be the first to say it's a beauty :)

B

13. Speedy

XF--Cleaned--F15

I know this would take awhile longer to get the coin but I would suggest taking your time on this buy....and searching places like DLRC and Heritage and Ebay---look for one that is AU or better and doesn't look to be cleaned.
    That will be a gem to many because it might have missed being cleaned years ago.
    I know that is more $$$....but it might be worth it.

DLRC has a weekly auction--sometimes their coins go pretty cheap and they are nice coins with great photos.

Speedy

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm going to pick up the 1833 with the tones, just for the heck of it and I'll get a closer look at it. For those who hadn't figured it put, its from Harlan Berk, and many people insist that they are are very reputable. I've had a question or two about their stuff before. I think you can get this class of coin for less, but IMO, an AU Bust is for a lot more money. They go for over a grand in my shopping expereince.

Ruben

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

16. Speedy

Ture--but what one would hold its value better and be more collected years from now....one like many that have been cleaned...or one of the few that haven't been?

Speedy

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

20. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I think it depends on how that auction goes :)

Its just at the upper peek that I can think about a coin because I might be able to work a lot of over time hours to pay for this in a couple of weeks. But if it blows through the roof, forget about it.

the last itme a MS64 Bust of this year sold on Heritage was in August of 2004. We'll see what kind of price it runs. It is a VERY pretty coin.

Try this one instead!
    http://coins.heritagegalleries.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=413&Lot_No=7694#Photo

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted