bullion bars--Not for coin collecting?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by CollectorTIM, Jul 14, 2006.

1. CollectorTIM

CollectorTIM New Member

i bought a 1 gram extremely small bullion bar for like 30 bucks.

1 gram is approximately 1/30th of an ounce

anyway, my question is; do any of you have bullion bars in your collections?

do any of you have bullion bars at all?what do you think about them?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CollectorTIM

CollectorTIM New Member

it is GOLD by the way :)

4. CoinDude08

CoinDude08 New Member

I have about 300 ounces of silver in 1oz engelhard bars, Im thinking of pickup up some rounds too but I prefer the bars for some reason. I'm considering swapping them for 100oz bars because they look cooler ;)

5. airedale

airedale New Member

Engelhard is the King! The one ounce pieces will demand a premium if anyone ever has to cash in their 100 ounce pieces. Pure copper cents hold the same distinction if you ever have to buy a loaf of bread with real money.

6. CoinDude08

CoinDude08 New Member

I actually have several rolls of copper cents as well, and a bag full of cull barbers at about $100 face value.

7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Well one can argue that bullion bars are not for coin collecting, because they are not coins, lol... but semantics aside don't see anything wrong with collecting whatever you feel like. I used to have a 1 troy oz silver ingot from Englehard but have since sold it. Have an American Silver Eagle and an American Gold Eagle, both received as gifts, which are both bullion and coins. Have a 1/2 oz. silver timberwold coin from Canada, that I bought simply because I found the design interesting, much more so than the leaf they put on the 1 oz, lol. Most of the rest of the silver bullion I had or common coins I'm only collecting by type and not by series I sold off. I still do have a 1 oz. silver round with the Lord's Prayer on it that my grandmother saved as part of her collection. Other than that I usually put whatever discretionary income I have towards coins rather than pure bullion, but I wouldn't rule out buying and saving anything that catches my interest.

8. Benz Coinz

Benz Coinz www.benzcoinz.com

CoinDude08...

I invest in and recommend Engelhard 10oz Bars.

On older 100oz. bars the seller needs to offer a return or verification that the bar has been xrayed due to many of these being bored out and filled with lead back in the 1980's when silver went over $50 an ounce.

Ben

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I have a couple of silver one ounce bars, but prefer rounds to bars. These days, SAEs and Maple leafs can be obtained for about the same price as rounds in the places I look, so there really isn't any incentive to buy rounds anymore unless you're into collecting the various types that are available. I don't collect gold other than in coin form, but EVERYTHING is collectible.

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

My dealer once offered me about 50 1-ounce bars of silver at I think it was $7 per ounce...I wish now I would have taken them all but just got one......I've seen 2 100-ounce bars of silver and man were they cool!!!....

Speedy

11. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

I did well for myself - bought 10 10-oz bars of silver low and sold them when silver spiked a while back! I'd buy bars again, if I could do the same thing!

12. predcarn

predcarn New Member

I think over the years, that the line between "coin" and "bullion" has shrunken
    due to beautiful coins with not much difference between the intrinsic metal
    value and the price. Since I can buy decent circulated morgans at most
    coin shows at just a small amount over the silver, and roosevelt dimes at
    no premium, I consider them bullion for transactions. When silver was close to
    $15 oz, I even had common circulated WL halves and mercury dimes packed
    and ready to go, then the price dropped back down again. But in the mean
    times, this bullion presented me with many hours of looking for DDies and
    oddities. To me thats the best kind of bullion. But collecting is a personal
    thing and people can collect almost anything.

13. n_sandler4

n_sandler4 Paul

I just picked up 49.1 ounces of silver today...in dimes=) I went to an uncalimed property auction and bought 1 lot and got:

16 Barber Dimes
    352 Mercs
    318 Silver Roosevelts

Total: 686 Dimes; 49.1 ounces of silver, silver value: $562.59

I paid $525...I've looked through about 150 of the Mercs so far, but I wont be able to look at the rest for 2 weeks...They're locked in my safe at my house...and I'm on vacation....oh well=( I've already found 1 1916 and 2 1917's.....some other better dates also=p

14. Krasnaya Vityaz

Krasnaya Vityaz Always Right

It is possible in China to buy very large bullion coins, Pandas namely, which contain 1 kilo of .999 fine gold. The mintages are usually very small, under 50 coins.

15. CollectorTIM

CollectorTIM New Member

im thinking about buying silver cheap and reselling it when the time is right, but i dont know when silver is supposed to go down.... ive heard that from now on it should only be going up....

16. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Do you really think that if someone had a working crystal ball they would post that kind of information in a public forum?[​IMG]

17. predcarn

predcarn New Member

This years mintage of the 1 kilo gold panda is 200 worldwide. The current
    price is over $31,000. Talk about a premium :)

Draft saved Draft deleted