Brasil coins in Lucite

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moen1305, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I have this small metal container with a lid that has 4 coins set into it in Lucite. I've used it over the years to save coins that I've found in circulation until it is full and then I transfer them to my books etc. I've always wondered if they were gold, gold-plated, brass, or had any values what so ever. Does anyone know anything about these coins?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

20 centavos: KM#565, Aluminum-bronze, obverse shows Ruy Barbosa, a lawyer, journalist, politician and anti-salvery activist. 24,805,000 minted, the entombments is no big numismatic loss as uncirculated examples catalog at only 40¢.

50 centavos: KM#563, Aluminum-bronze, obverse shows Gen. Eurica Gaspar Dutra, leader of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force in WW II, and President from 1946-51. (He was still living when he appeared on the coin from 1948-56.) 27,150,000 minted, uncirculated catalog value 50¢.

The map: Either KM#559, Aluminum-bronze 2 cruzeiros, minted from 1942-56, or KM#560, Aluminum-bronze 5 cruzeiros, minted in 1942-43. Mintages from 115,000 to 33,850,000; uncirculated values from $1-10.

The other one: Probably KM#521.1 500 reis Aluminum-bronze commemorating the centennial of Brazilian independence. Mintage 13,744,000 including KM#521.2. Uncirculated value is $4.75.

It is possible that the coin is actually KM#521.1, on which the word "BRASIL" looks like "BBASIL". Lets hope a coin worth $17.50 F to $120 Unc. wasn't mistreated like that. :eek: If the lucite isn't clear on the bottom, I guess we'll never know. :(

4. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

Thank You

Roy-

One HUGE THANK YOU! Just typing in all that information was above and beyond. I would have been happy if you'd pointed me to a web site with the information but you went that extra mile and 7/8. Thanks again Roy!

5. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I agree that the coins are basically worthless as is. However I did encase an Ike dollar in Lucite once, then I busted it out later and as I recall it was not too much worse for wear.

I think the real problem is that when coins are put in Lucite it is not by coin collectors, and the people doing it want nice looking shiny coins so they polish them before encasing them.

I have an old silver dollar put in a Lucite paperweight by a bank. I appreciate it for what it is – a coin-related memento – not for any direct numismatic value, though. It was harshly polished prior to being encased.

Draft saved Draft deleted