Bizarre 1946 Nickel with "1946" date overstamped -- with backwards 4!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jamboree, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Jamboree

Jamboree Junior Member

Bizarre 1946 Nickel with "1946" date overstamped -- with backwards 4! (Now w/ pic)

I just found in my change one of the strangest nickels i've ever seen. I'm not sure if it is a minting error, some kind of experimental issue, or just a unique item created by some random prankster long long ago.

Here's the description:

It's a normal 1946 (Philadelphia) standard Jefferson nickel in fair/good condition (i.e. heavily worn down with normal wear and tear) that has one freakish attribute: over the 1946 date, someone has re-stamped the numbers "1946" incuse-style, very precisely done, except for a very strange glitch: the "4" is backwards!

You can still see remnants of the original 1946 date beneath the overstamping, which makes even less sense, since why re-stamp the same date over the old date?

In every other respect, the nickel looks completely normal -- there is no flaw in the leg of the "R" in "Pluribus," so it is not a Henning counterfeit.

Is this a known error? Anyone ever seen anything like it before? Anyone know what its origins might be? I suspect it was just some guy experimenting with a die-stamp at home back in the '40s, but still can't figure out why the "4" is backwards.

If it helps, I can try to take a picture of it and post that. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

we need a pic thanks

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Just my opinion , post mint damage , when a date is punched in a die it is incused so it will come out raised on a coin , even a repunchened date is incused in the die thus it would have to be raised on a coin . Since yours is incused on the coin , most likely occurred after it left the mint .
    rzage

5. Jamboree

Jamboree Junior Member

OK, here are the pics (hope this works, never done it before):

[​IMG]
    Here's the front, with the weird overstamp visible.

[​IMG]
    Here's a close-up of the overstamp showing the original "1946" date still partly visible.

[​IMG]
    And here's the reverse, showing the effects of the stamping on the right edge.

Who did this, and why? Was it something "official," or just some nut goofing around?

6. chip

chip Novice collector

I vote for some nut goofing around. When work is slow and you have a hammer and some number stamps lying around one thing could lead to another and before you know it....

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Second the motion.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Yep, some nut job. You can see the evidence on the reverse that it was hammered.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Yeah, this is post mint damage. It's an interesting find but not worth anything.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Post mint damage for sure. Also the comment was made that there is no hole in the R of PLURIBUS so it is not a Henning. Keep in mind that Henning made more than one reverse die (he claimed to have made 6) and the hole in the R is not on all of them. So you can't use this as a sole diagnostic for a Henning nickel.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

Definitely post-mint damage. The numbers were added with punches.

Thanks,
    Bill

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The question is, where do you get a backwards 4 punch? Of course maybe it isn't backwards, maybe it is rotated clockwise 90 degrees.

13. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

they make reverse #s, we use them all the time

14. just coins

just coins New Member

I do believe a little kid did this he was bored or a Nutty .
    JC

15. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Stop and think about it - when dates were handpunched into the dies, they had to be incuse reversed characters, so that coin date would be correctly oriented raised numbers.

16. dracula370

dracula370 Mmmmmmm......Bacon

I don't think we'll need a vote on this.....

17. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

After 1909, dates were modeled on the hubs, so they were raised on the hubs then transfered to the dies. There were no backward punches used.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK your right a standard raised 4 punch would make an incused reversed 4 like that. So in that case the REST of the number punches are backwards.

19. 50cent

50cent What A steal

interesting coin but some nut did it

20. A.K.Moon

A.K.Moon New Member

21. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It has been damaged somehow. For some reason coins are a common target for mutilation!

Draft saved Draft deleted