bicentennial silver penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by phillip s, Jan 8, 2004.

1. phillip s

phillip s New Member

Several years back I came across a Bicentennial silver penny, it looks like a regular penny except it's silver and on the front it has a small liberty bell behind Lincolns head and a small outline of the United States with "USA" stamped inside of it above the date (1976) . I was told at the time there was only 50 made. But I can't find anything, anywhere about this coin.

Does anyone here know of this coin?

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. laz

laz New Member

Actually the coin is a novelty piece similar the the "Kennedy looks at Lincoln" Cent. Your coin may have been either specially struck in Silver or Silver plated. Most were just regular Cents. Over the years many different counterstamps have been used. There was a set of the 50 States, depicting each State in outline.There was the profile of Kennedy, Lincoln smoking a pipe,ect. Since these coins are altered they have no true numismatic value. Any value would be simply as a novelty piece. These fall into a broad catagory called "exonumia" or coin related material like medals and tokens. ~ Jim

capthank likes this.
  4. sfronasmom

sfronasmom New Member

I was wondering if you found anything more about this coin? I came across one and I can't seem to find anything out about it either. If you could let me know I would appriciate it. Thanks

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

They are only novelty pieces.

6. jody526

jody526 New Member

Here's the Lincoln & Kennedy penny:

LINK (click here)

There are countless variations on this theme. Lincoln smoking a pipe, electro-plated cents made to look like silver, etc.

Again, they are nothing more than coins that have been altered to sell as novelties.

They are not issued from the Mint like this. They are not considered collectible as numismatic items.

7. katie pierce

katie pierce New Member

I also have a 1976 silver penny but there is no bell? Great condition to????

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

That would be nice to see . :joyful:

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

? I can't say.. You need to show us!

11. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

12. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Who needs a picture? It's probably plated.

13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...17 yo thread...Katie, start a new one with pictures...Spark

14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@katie pierce. Welcome to Coin Talk. You would probably get more replies if you started a new thread. If you do, please include photos of the coin. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted