Bicentennial Proof Set Quarter Uncoated

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by tpanc13, Mar 28, 2009.

1. tpanc13

tpanc13 Junior Member

I have a 6-coin Bicentennial Proof Set in which the reverse side of the quarter is not coated with its silver outside coating. I have yet to find anybody who has heard of this and seeking information re this proof set (quantity made, estimated auction value, etc.) and/or specific information on how to best sell it. It has been about ten years since I last queried about this set. Can anybody shed any information about this set's value? Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Several years ago I sold an MS business strike bicentennial quarter with no reverse cladding to error coin dealer Fred Weinberg at the Long Beach show for a few hundred dollars.

I'm not an error collector, and have no idea what the population of that particular coin might be. Your proof could be worth more or less on today's market.

4. tpanc13

tpanc13 Junior Member

Thank you Hontonai. Looks like I should find a large show someplace or reputable dealer for error coins. I've never done this. Is there a list of reputable dealers? What is the safe process for sending a coin to such a dealer for examination? I suppose eBay would also be an option. Comments?

5. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

I already gave you the link to Fred's website. The other member of the "big two" error expeerts is Mike Byers.

Contact either or both and ask about getting your coin verified/appraised. If you live within a reasonable distance of any of the major shows, check whether one of them will be at the next show.

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

definitely sounds like an error

7. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Yes it does. Let us know what the 'end of the story' is. And WELCOME to the forum.:hail:

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Can you post a photo of it?....

Speedy

9. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I don't ever remember there being a "six" coin Proof set

I don't ever remember there being a "six" coin Proof set during the Bicentennial do you'all????

10. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Yep. Black Plastic, red insert.

Attached Files:

11. tpanc13

tpanc13 Junior Member

1975 Quarter Reverse

Jim B posted the front of the proof set, except my bicentennial is the 1975 set. Attached is a picture of my reverse showing the unclad quarter. I appologize for the amateur photograph.

Attached Files:

12. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Could you show a close up of the quarter? It possibly looks toned and not missing the clad layer but it is hard to tell.

13. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I tried to zoom in on the quarter and their isn't enough detail on the image after you saved on the resized picture as a jpeg to see it clearly. Can you get another pciture and save it as a PNG. It certainly is interesting.

Ruben

14. tpanc13

tpanc13 Junior Member

1975 Quarter Only

How's this? What exactly do you mean by "toned" vs. unclad?

Attached Files:

15. tpanc13

tpanc13 Junior Member

mrbrklyn...does the quarter only pic suffice. Since there's a limitation on file size, what is the best format type to use for coin photos? My original .jpg is 2.71M.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

It looks to me like an error and not toning. We need an error expert. How about as a PNG file instead of a JPG?

Ruben

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I tend to use PNG files because they have more information. Large photos I use JPGs just so that Arizona Jack doesn't yell at me for loading a 10meg file.

Ruben

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

where is the TOTW button?

19. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I don't think you can nominate a post in the what's it worth section for the TOTW.

20. tpanc13

tpanc13 Junior Member

Color Comparisons

Here is my attempt to show the color comparisons between penny, dime and quarter in the set.

Attached Files:

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Proof error

Ah... too bad. This thread is going to be a learning resource.

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted