-- Best Roll Finds Contest for October 2007 -- submission thread

Discussion in 'Contests' started by TheBigH, Sep 30, 2007.

1. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Well, I wasn't going to, but I decided to host the first month of the BRFC. Perhaps, if this is a success, someone else will take the reins next month. I was thinking of the possibility of having a rotating host system, if the next host does not want to continue. In my proposed system, a new host can volunteer, and be approved by the previous host (of course, basically anyone would be approved. The previous host approval is just to make sure none of the unsavory spammers get control). If my contest is not a success, well, at least I tried!

So, if you would like to enter, please host your images with whichever image hoster you prefer (so I don't have to save them to post them into the voting thread). You may enter up to 3 coins in any of the five categories (IE: 1 in most valuable, 2 in most unusual etc.). All the coins entered must have been found in the previous month (in this case, September). Your entry does not have to be a coin if it is entered in the most unusual category. Anyone can enter, and anyone can vote. You do not have to have an entry to vote, and you do not have to register to vote. Voters are encouraged to vote in all 5 categories, but that is not necessary. Only one vote per category. Members who have entered their coins can vote, but not for their own coins, obviously.

Please have your photos submitted before 10/7/2007. Any photos submitted after that date cannot be accepted, unless they are entered before the actual contest thread is created.

You can enter more than one coin for an entry, if they were all found in one roll. For example, if you find 9 1964 silver halves in one roll, you can enter them as one coin, and foreign coins can also be entered in any of the categories.

The five categories are:

---

Most valuable roll find

Coolest pre-1920 roll find

Best error/variety roll find

Most unusual roll find

Coolest overall roll find

---

I guess that's it! Sorry for all that technical stuff. This is really about having fun, and giving somebody the knowledge that they have made the best roll find of anyone else on the forum! Thanks for visiting, and keep in mind that the most important thing is to have fun!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Saw that coming... it doesn't have any prize, so why not leave it where it was?

4. AgCollector

AgCollector Senior Member

Maybe a silly question, but- most of what I search is bags of coin from the bank, and not rolls. Do bag finds still count?

5. Topher

Topher New Member

Is this a trick question? or did you cancel one category after typing that there would be six? I like the idea, and I search Canadian coins, so this also works for me. I don't have much to enter but I'll try to get the camera working on the few that I do have.

6. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Yeah, bags are fine. Just say whether you found your coin in a bag or a roll.

P.S., if you don't mind my asking, where do you get bags? I'd like to try those some time.

7. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Yeah, I was gonna make a different category, but I deleted one before posting. Thanks for letting me know! I'll fix that...

8. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Ooooh, I submit my guitar pick for entry in the most unusual find. I already uploaded a picture in the roll search thread.

9. jimmyrules712

jimmyrules712 Member

I went through 20 penny rolls today and got 1 1944 wheatie and 1 canadian cent.....definitely wasn't worth the time :(

10. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

I've decided to make some signature images for the winners, if they want them. Here's the first one.

untitled.JPG

11. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

gatzdon's entry - Fender guitar pick found in half dollar roll - cat: Most unusual

a.jpg

12. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Here's the second signature image:

untitled.JPG

13. AgCollector

AgCollector Senior Member

Will do.

I get mine from a local bank that has a coin counting machine, and I buy them when they fill up. Typical values are $50 in cents, $200 in nickels, $1,000 in dimes, quarters or halves.

I've found it varies considerably what part of the country you're in (coin counters are very rare where I am) and whether the bank has a corporate policy about selling bags (some forbid it since it might be short and they don't want you complaining about that, or some other reason).

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The BigH:
    Very nice signatures!

Well worth the work.

15. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Thanks! Here's the third:

untitled.JPG

16. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

17. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

And the last one:

untitled.JPG

18. codydude815

codydude815 Wannabe coin dealer

Ill enter some finds in a bit.

19. codydude815

Can i enter one coin into more than one catigory? Because ive got a couple multi catigory coins....

20. codydude815

My entries

Ok, this one is for coolest pre 1920, coolest find, unusual, and best overall. I found it in a roll of quarters.. AN 1865 2 CENT!!!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This next one was found in a roll of dimes. Its going for coolest find, coolest pre 20....AN 1882 SEATED DIME!!!:
    [​IMG]

This one is for best overall, coolest pre 1920, coolest find. Everytime i go into the bank, ill ask if they have any large size dollar rolls half jokingly. Well, one time, they did. It was a bunch of eisenhower dollars, exept for this one...AND...... A 1880 MORGAN!!!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

Just one category for coins. Those qualify for any of the categories listed, but they can only have one category each.

By the way, were those found in September? Since this is the first contest, I figured I'd let any coin in, regardless of when you found it, as long as it came from a roll or a bag. In other words, it doesn't matter when you found those items, I was just curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted