Best bust half type date?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jako lipo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

im looking for a bust half in the 500-1000 range that is unc and that is sharp for type set purposes

is there any good dates that are sharp and are better dates?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I'm guessing you're talking about the Bust Half Dollar. Picking up an MS example for under a grand can be done but it would take some work and probably be a MS-60 later date (1824-1836) coin. Personally, I like the year 1827.

Good Luck and Post Pictures :)
    Ben

4. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

so 1827 can e had for under 1k and has okay sharpness/?

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

First of all as you know there are no guarantees on finding a (MS-60 or so) coin for less than $1000. You have to realize that getting a really nice MS example of the series normally would cost you quite a bit more. I'm just saying that if you look around enough you MIGHT find one which will please you.

The 1827 has no more or less sharpness than any other late date (1824-1836) in the series. I just like the date for sentimental reason I guess. :)

Ben

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I think you will be challenged to find a nice MS coin in that price range.

For that kind of money I'd try and find a really nice and original AU -- I think it would look better than a $1k UNC.

That will be hard enough, as 99% of this series has been messed with.

All IMHO, and respectfully submitted...Mike

7. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

I agree with Mike. Find a nice, completely original AU-58. If you find a nice one in a PCGS holder for example, it will look like a 63/64 coin at first glance.

Lower priced Unc Bust Halves are generally not original and somewhat unattractive.

8. erwizard

erwizard Numismatic RN

I also agree that you would be very hardpressed to find a MS Bust Half. In one of the finest known collections (name skips my mind) , all were AU50 - AU58. I believe this was a Capped Bust collection. AS far as varieties I like the 1817, 7 over 3 and 1823 broken and patched "3" :eek:hya:

9. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

erwizard i think the collection you are talking about is the premium collection of capped bust halves and varities

almost all are au and coincedently they are selling it at the baltimore coin show on the 16th which i will be attending

also on a side note what does IMHO mean?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

11. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

this is a nice set but, far from one of the finest and most complete. it is, however; the top ranked pcgs registry set for major redbook date and variety.

most,if not all, of the finest condition census sets complete with all known overton varieties are raw.

still gotta give kudos to prenum au58 is the holy grail for cbh's...hopefully the break even on the sale.

12. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

i ended up buying a great looking orginal pcgs au55 1826 half dollar and i was wondering if anyone could pm me diagnostics for the overton varieties for that date.

13. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Unfortunately, there is no ON-LINE resource for attributing this series, ... only books. The best bet would be to post a picture (front and back) and then one of the members with access to a guide determine which variety you've got. BTW, there are 20+ different varieties of the 1826.

Take Care
    Ben

14. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

ok will try to get one on tongight

15. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

No hurry, heading to a Shriner Thanksgiving dinner this evening, but I (and many others) can't wait to see your coin.

Take Care
    Ben

Draft saved Draft deleted