[b]FBL or NOT FBL[/b]

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikenoodle, Jan 6, 2010.

?

Does this coin have Full Bell Lines?

1. FBL

18.8%
  2. NOT FBL

81.3%
  1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Ok, so I am going to try some of my newly found photography skills to shjow some stuff and ask your opinions on them.

First up, this 1949-D Franklin Half. Does it have FBL or not?

You post, and we all decide

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insomniac

Insomniac Dime Nut

Maybe it's just my computer, but it doesn't look like there is a picture here.

4. schatzy

schatzy ~Roosie Fanatic~

NGC.....NO
    PCGS....Maybe

5. louielot

louielot Junior Member

While that it a good picture, it is not clear enough for me to be able to tell.

6. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That is a good picture!

I vote yes. 49D's are generally very well struck - your coin appears to be about the norm. I'm somewhat concerned with an apparent area of weakness in the upper left quadrant, but I believe this coin will make FBL at NGC. Of course, PCGS is a given - but the PCGS designation is pretty much worthless in my book.

49D is a semi-key to the series not because of a weak strike, but rather due to the generally below average quality of the coins. Yours actually appears quite attractive, albeit dipped, but if you show us a picture of the obverse we can give you a better idea of the grade.

To see my 1949D, go here: http://coins.www.collectors-society...ail.aspx?PeopleCoinID=342987&PeopleSetID=6638

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I have to say not FBL. Both areas circled would stop NGC from assigning FBL, and the turquoise area would stop PCGS from assigning it - IMO.

Attached Files:

• FBL.JPG
      FBL.JPG
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sorry, but I think not.

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Agreed.
    Not only is the strike important but also nicks/cuts that interrupt the bell lines.
    Same thing as Full Steps on Jefferson nickels.

11. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

When I blew up your thumbnail my eyes immediately went to the spot left of the crack and figured it wasn't FBL. It's seen in GDJMSPs close-up.

Nice coin though.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted