Australian 1942 Penny (b) without I

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Georgioscoins, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Georgioscoins

Georgioscoins Junior Member

Anyone knows how hard to find is this and market value in vf or xf?
    I could not find one in ebay...
    Krause values VF$5 & XF$40 while no mintage numbers.

Here is some info I found about:

In an article "Notes on Australian Pre-decimal Coinage" (Journal of the Australian Numismatic Society,1996), Bill Mullett wrote:

The 1942 Penny

The combined efforts of the Melbourne and Perth mints could not satisfy the demand for Australian coins in 1942, 43 and 44. Contracts were let with US mints for the production of silver coins and with the Bombay Mint for the striking of both pennies and halfpennies. In the latter case, the coins can usually be recognised by the letter "I" being placed under George VI's portrait on the obverse of both coins.
    However it is well known that some 1942 pennies struck in Bombay do not show the "I" mintmark. It must be remembered that it was wartime and the need for coins was urgent. I personally packed, addressed and wrote out the Customs Declaration for the first pairs of master dies and punches sent to Bombay. They were made at the Melbourne Mint and did not have an "I" on them for the excellent reason that Melbourne did not possess an "I" punch. It seems that, the need being urgent, they were put to use immediately on arrival, and later a new master tool was struck using an "I" in Bombay's possession or which they acquired from elsewhere.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Georgioscoins

Georgioscoins Junior Member

MacConnelly's varieties book lists the 1942 "missing mintmark" Bombay issue as "very scarce" but this catalogue doesn't give prices.

Draft saved Draft deleted