At what price will you stop buying gold?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Fool 4 Gold, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Fool 4 Gold

Fool 4 Gold olfogdslo

It is interesting to read these threads here. From what I can tell, there are a great many of you buying and collecting gold.
    My question for those who do so is;

At what price do you stop buying gold, and when that price point is reached are you selling? Bullion and coins of numismatic appeal.

Chow...........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

gold trend

buy low and keep it forever. the trend is up. and continue to go up for many years. soon to pass $1,000.00 per ounce. of course the silver is even better.

4. Fool 4 Gold

Fool 4 Gold olfogdslo

So I am curious to what make's you think this will come to pass? Gold at $1000.00/oz.
    What source do you have that warrants such a claim?

5. modest9797

modest9797 Member

I'd say $100. I am working on a $50 a month income. Between alounce and weedwacking. Haha

6. elaine 1970

three giant countries

three giant countries with very large population soon to be or overpass united states as the riches nations. all three nations including the u.s. love gold so much. together they can push the price of gold up up nothing but up. these nations namely china, india and russia.

7. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I'll continue to buy some gold no matter what the price becomes in the future. Since I bought my first gold coin a little while back I'm hooked on it now.

8. Fool 4 Gold

Fool 4 Gold olfogdslo

So Elaine,

From your reply, and type written words, I take it you are from China living in New York now? Just a guess as I have no real way of knowing.

And please do not take my question as one on a personal nature. I mean no offense to you or anyone else. I work with may Asians and a similar trait is the broken English context.

If you are from China, do you collect the coins of that Country?

I think that your statement on the Countries may warrant some consideration. After all it is the USA that is slowly giving the Country that I personally fought for away to the highest bidder. Our National deficit, trade practices and immigration laws will be the swift blow from which recovery will be almost impossible.

If I were you, I would sell if it ever reaches that point.

Kind regards,

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

This is a tough question. I haven't purchased much gold in the last two years. I think I bought two 1/10 ounce AGEs in the last year because they were low priced. I guess the highest amount I've paid for a $20 liberty was $650 for an MS61 common date. Right now, silver looks to be the better deal and I'll probably gradually keep buying morgan and peace dollars, silver eagles and maple leafs, and even canadian silver dollars as long as the price of silver remains below $20 per ounce. If it goes higher, I'll re-evaluate.

I have no plans to sell because I think the devaluation of the dollar [i.e., inflation] will be continuous for the rest of my life. If people start lining up around the block to buy gold and silver and it makes the evening news, I'll start selling to them.

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

If you buy gold for an investment, think long term.
    If you can catch one of those market spikes, so much the better.

I personally only buy gold in the form of US coins.
    Not only will they rise as gold prices rise, but I have a small piece of numismatic art.
    And with luck the numismatic value will rise too.

11. jf7fsu

jf7fsu Member

I buy gold coins because I admire the beauty and craftmanship as well as the luster of gold. I believe gold will hit $850-900 in the next year or two. Also, if the sh*t hits the fan I can crack all my slabs and take them with me...

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

If you don't go long term in gold or silver, averaging your cost as you go, don't bother to buy.
    Unless it sinks to $400 again.

13. Rono

Rono Senior Member

when to stop buying gold?

Howdy all,

There are all sorts of opinions about the future of gold and the other precious metals. Gold predictions range from back to $300 to upwards of $8500. Who's right? Who knows.

I'm of the camp that we're at the early stages of a bull market in the precious metals and they all have a LONG way to run. This is based upon not only the relative price of the US$, but the fact that most of the Central Banks are printing money like drunken sailors. This is flooding the globe in cheap and getting cheaper fiat currency - relative to real stuff. And gold and silver are real stuff.

Most bull markets start slow and continue to go upwards until they hit the mania point - where everyone's buying and cabby's are giving you advice. Until we reach this point, it's still buying time. When we reach the mania point, it's time to sell. At what point that'll occur? I have no idea.

I'm still buying and plan to buy much more.

peace,

rono

14. Krasnaya Vityaz

Krasnaya Vityaz Always Right

It really not a factor so much of gold rising in price, but more like USA dollar is losing value. Materials like gold, silver, oil, wheat are all constants. What is not constant is confidence in dollar, which comes and goes. Lately few years it goes and goes and goes. With all discussion here on large denominations, maybe sometime you need 100000$ bills because that what it take to buy loaf of bread.

Might think I am wrong, but look at dollar vs. Euro, pound sterling etc.

15. elaine 1970

bullion gold

to tell you frankly. i don't have any bullion gold coins. most of my gold coins were very much above bullion price. now. if i want to buy and sell gold bullion coin right now. i will be buying gold at $600.00 and sell it at $750.00 or above. which will be the new high recently. if not reach that point. i will keep it. and if i sell it. i will be buying back again. because it will continue to go higher and higher. but slowly.

16. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Won't stop until I can't afford it anymore. ;) Then I'll sell it and buy more. :D

17. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Depends on what you mean by "richest nation". It's not reasonable to conclude that either India, China, or Russia will be any where near the US annual GDP PER CAPITA any time soon.

India $ 3,800
    China $ 7,700
    Russia $ 12,200
    America $ 44,000 - almost 4x Russia and more than 11x India - far and away #1 of any major nation

For India and China, large population will be quite a hindrance.

And population-wise, Russia is less than half the population of the US (140 million vs. 300 million).

Surely Russia will fare the best of those three - not too many people, large oil and gas revenues.

But elaine's point is well made in that all three nations' expansion should drive up gold.

18. Spider

Spider ~

wow I always thought Russia had more people than that, wait a sec... does that include the barbarians?

19. Fool 4 Gold

Fool 4 Gold olfogdslo

I recently started a $2.5 Liberty Gold collection (last year) but gold is too high now.

20. 900fine

The Soviet Union had many more, but they starved and murdered 55 million of 'em in the Stalinist Purges. Atheism and state - cool, huh ?

The Soviet population included much more than Russians - all those republics forced into the "union", who were obviously eager to get the heck out once everything fell apart.

21. 900fine

I'm working on a $2.5 Indian collection. Only 15 issues ! Attainable goal.

Draft saved Draft deleted