Are You A Hoarder?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Moen1305, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

I am a self-described coin hoarder so I have made peace with myself and feel that I am in a good place with my hoarding of all coins valuable or not. The funny party is that I am the person in the family that usually throws stuff out while everyone else isn't looking. Coins are the only thing I hoard. For instance, I bought 48 rolls of 2010 pennies in Springfield last week as some of you may have heard and I am not in all that big of a hurry to sell them off and I am not all that sure that I want to sell them. I've given a few rolls away but I still have 45 rolls. Do you think of yourself as a coin hoarder? I have thought about taking my entire collection from all of its various locations and putting it on a large table for a photo session but it just seems like too much work. Have you ever done this? Maybe it is more of a summer project.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Not me.
    I'm a pure collector, or as close to it as you'll ever meet.
    I want one (and ONLY one) of each.
    If I do an upgrade the lower graded coin gets sold.
    That way the newer, higher graded coin doesn't cost me as much (think trade-in).

4. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Nope, 100% collector, but I do have more than my share of wheaties but thats my main interest...

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I don't think of myself as a hoarder, more like a hogger.

6. Moen1305

I figure that they are ALL my coins and you guys are just holding them temporarily...:D

7. carly

carly Member

I'm a coin accumulator--the word hoarder reminds me of old people with stuff stacked up in their apartments so high they can't walk around.

Anything other than a Lincoln cent, I'm a collector, and am still working on my series of Mercuries and such. But with my Lincolns, oh my. I have my main collection books, then boxes of 2x2's for the "extras", then a book of Lincoln proofs (one page for each year) then about 10 boxes of rolls, both uncirculated and proof rolls. I figure as long as it's all still in just one bookcase, I'm not ready for an intervention yet.

8. Shawn151

Shawn151 Junior Member

i've been collecting off and on since i was a teen. thing is, i just started to be a more serious collector again.

i caught myself going through all my loose change, just digging to find anything that would be of interest that skipped by the first look and then i started to pull out every "D" no matter the coin...just so i can start putting them with the "P" mints and start looking for "S" mints and see how many years i can collect of all 3 mint marks. lol

9. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

One Each

I will not consider myself such until I have at least One Each.

I do not have neat albums, all from the same provider, numbered and labeled, neatly stacked in a safe deposit box. I do not have piles of plastic containers arranged in OCD fashion with the grade & designation provided by professionals.

I DO have flips in boxes sorted (kinnda) by denomination/date/MM/....and other things I'm learning about here on CT.

and rolls & jars I augment from my pocket change until I can place into flips when Hobby Time comes around.

But my wife thinks I hoarding because she can't spend it until I get to give it a good looking over.

Ok. I'm hoarding:)

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Some of both. Some types I hoard and some types I collect.

11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I like to collect upgrade and sell, The best way to the top!! :)

12. CappedBustDimes

CappedBustDimes Senior Member

I have recently liquidated or consigned my entire collection but, I continue to seek out and purchase to "hoard" and add to my current "hoards" of the following:

1815 and 1825 dated capped bust quarters with E or L counter stamps.

1809 capped bust dimes.

1811 capped bust dimes.

1822 capped bust dimes.

I also seek out and hoard all contemporary counterfeit capped bust denominations.

13. solidgold

solidgold Member

I just took a bunch of change to the bank, but after going through it first. :smile No hoarding here.

14. Gipper1985

Gipper1985 Junior Member

Until I learn enough about what I am doing I am hoarding everthing. Once I feel comfortable I will hoard only what I like.

15. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

I am a hoarder. Not ashamed one bit. I just don't sell. So many of my coins came from my childhood, so there is a special conection. The new coins I am getting are better grades to fill the holes I have since starting. So I guess the question is, will I get rid of my coins from Childhood? No.

I think when I am not looking the coin fairy puts more holes in my collection, becaue it looks like I will be doing this for a long time.

16. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Am I a hoarder? Yes I am!! :D :D

17. smullen

smullen Coin Hoarder

Maybe I'm a Collector, maybe I'm a Hoarder, maybe I'm a bit of both... Whos to say...

As long as I continue to learn about coins, their history and continue to add a few every now and then I'm pretty Happy...

I collect Mint Sets,
    Proof Sets
    Proof Series in highest grades I can
    Mint Series in highest grades I can
    Commems (raw and graded)
    S.A.E.s Graded (some bulk as bullion)
    G.A.Es. Raw and Graded
    Silver Art Bars

Really to many things to list without boring you all to death....

BTW, here is a cut of the definition of Hoard(er) from Dictionary.com Take it how you will... Milage will vary...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Hoarder

hoard  
    –noun 1. a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.: a vast hoard of silver.

–verb (used with object) 2. to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place: to hoard food during a shortage.

–verb (used without object) 3. to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

Related forms:
    hoarder, noun

Synonyms:
    1. stockpile, reserve, cache, store, stock.

~~~
    hoard
    n. A hidden fund or supply stored for future use; a cache.
    v. hoard·ed, hoard·ing, hoards

v. intr.
    To gather or accumulate a hoard.
    v. tr.
    1.To accumulate a hoard of.

2.To keep hidden or private.
    ~~~

18. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

A hoarder, for sure.

I collect (fine...hoard) Jefferson nickels. Raw and certified, I have about thirty 1939-D Jeffersons in mint state, and another 100+ circulated.

My name is Bernard, and I have a problem.

19. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

This is the room you want to be in. Tiger Woods is in the room accroos the hall.

20. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Not really a hoarder, but I accumulate things I like, and I don't mind having 10 of the same thing.

21. Moen1305

I realized my problem when my wife asked how much I was planning on selling my 2010 cent rolls for and I cringed at the thought. I want them all! I keep running out storage space for all of the Whitmans, Danscos, proof sets, mint sets, commems, rolls, bullion, etc. I think I will eventually retire and open coin shop or go on the coin selling circuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted