Are u.s. proof coins legal tender?.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by elaine 1970, Oct 5, 2007.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

a kid got four prez dollars proof coins as a gift and use it at mcdonald's restaurant for just four dollars. soon it became a debate as to geniune legal coin or not. the police, the bank teller, the restaurant teller. all were confused. what you think?. man, $14.95 for $4.00. i will take it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

Of course proofs are legal tender.
    It's stupid to spend them (especially on McDonalds, yech), but I'm sure the kid didn't know any better.

JDcahill likes this.
  4. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

Maybe whoever spent them at McDonald's did it intentionally? They could have done it in an attempt to get somebody's interest peaked, which could possibly result in inspiring a new collector....

Hey, it's possible!

5. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Absolutely legal tender.

19Lyds likes this.
  6. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

Proof coins are legal tender.
    All money produced by the mint is... If you really wanted to, you could use a 2 cent piece.
    Although, you'd be waiting for the Secret Service to show up because no one would believe you. lol

7. Car10

Car10 Senior Member

Stevearino likes this.
  8. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Amen! and it abounds in that story.

"Police said the teenager didn't know the coins could not be spent."

As a former cashier I can assure you that one can spend proofs. Had a cashier by me get some "real shiny" Kennedies one day. Yup, proofs I put them in 2x2s for her.
    I once received Morgans for cigarettes.

It's amazing what people will spend and the smart cashier loves it.

9. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

It sure is. A while back I posted a story about a cashier I know getting a peace dollar for face value as part of a gasoline purchase.

10. Car10

Car10 Senior Member

At my job this past week I had a customer use a 1944 merc. dime VF.

11. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

Stevearino likes this.
  12. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

some people are just naturally brain impaired

13. elaine 1970

not everybody knows about coins

a lot of people is still using silver content coins as current coins. because they simply does not know about coin collecting. that is why we got some edge over there. my relative work as a store teller and he got some 1930's silver quarters.

14. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

McDonalds and a lot of grocery stores hire recent immigrants who are unfamiliar with US coins and currency.

The companies threaten them with all kinds of punishments if they take "bad" money.

15. elaine 1970

proof coins

i love proof coins produced by the franklin mint during 1970's and 1980's. i loved the display case too.

16. MrDSmith

MrDSmith Senior Member

I once got a late date large cent in change from a pepsi. No clue why or how it got into the register, but it is a popular conversation piece with my friends.

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have gotten two proof coins in change in the past few years, a 1981-S cent and a 1988-S quarter. Obviously "liberated" from sets.

18. grizz

grizz numismatist

are u.s. proof..........................

.......i try to peak interest by spending common date wheat cents etc. but NOT proof coins!

19. Harksaw

Harksaw Member

Not only are proof coins legal tender, but all bullion coins like the Platinum Eagles, Silver Eagles, and Gold Eagles are legal tender at face value.

Has anyone ever run across one of them in circulation? :)

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes, I have seen reports of silver eagles and even a gold US Eagle having been received in payment at face value.

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I tried to spend a Liberty Nickel (in good condition) at McD and the cashier said she could only accept US money. Of course, we explained that it was just old US money but she wouldn't accept the story. I gave her another nickel & asked her to take the Liberty home for further study.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

calishield, micbraun and Stevearino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted