Are these worth anything? (tokens)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by B.G., Jan 16, 2005.

1. B.G.

B.G. New Member

I have New York City Transit Authority "good for one fare" tokens from different years and of seperate prototypes. My oldest are 2 tokens with a small "Y"s in the middle of N"Y"C cut into it.

Is it possible that these are worth more than their face value, or should I just use them for the next bus?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Just about anything is possible, but don't quit your day job in reliance on it.

There are such things as token collectors, but the best advice I can give you is to check EBay for completed auctions, and see if you can find any NY tokens that have been sold there.

4. jody526

jody526 New Member

I've heard rumors to that effect as well. ;)

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Bus Tokens.

Bus tokens are of interest to those who collect any transportation tokens such as the tramway ones,ship tokens,& railway tokens.The subject of these tokens fit into an area called paranumismatics,which means that they are on the fringe.Here in New Zealand,there are some collectors of milk tokens,bread tokens,& other special purpose tokens,
    such as the discount tokens of the United Farmers Co-op Association.
    Any token with a New Zealand connection is of some interest.

6. cush66

cush66 New Member

As everyone quoted above...I wouldnt quit my day job for it but...I would put them in 2x2's and put them away. You never know because you may come across a retired driver that may decide to collect all the different tokens he used to see or someone who collects anything related to the city etc. Then you can use it as trading material since most common tokens range from 2 to 6 bucks you would be better off trading them vs selling them. Just curious, how old are they. I have Honolulu Rapid Transit tokens from the 1920's but being on an island and seperate from the continental US, the demands are greater simply because of the quantity being less. Like New Zealand, anything Hawaiiana especially Territory days stuff is highly collectible here.

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Cush66,do you have any Hawaiian coins at all? I have got the 1883 Hawaiian Quarter depicting King Kalakaua.Occasionally,one sees the odd Hawaiian Dime,but very seldom the Hawaiian 1/2 Dollar & 1 Dollar coins.I have never seen the real 1847 Hawaiian 1c.,but have seen those brass pieces that say 'SOUVENIR ALII OF HAWAII' on them,which are rubbish anyway

8. cush66

cush66 New Member

Aidan, like you I only have the quarter. It is severely whizzed so I dont even want to guess the grade. I have seen a 1 cent at a show but kept on walking since I knew I would want it and I know I cant afford it LOL!! The one to find cheap or free is the half dollar sesquicentennial. Thats big bucks !!!! I never saw one of those. By the way I am not a sports fan but my son is and his favorite team is the Blacks.

9. B.G.

B.G. New Member

Sorry for this late reply.

As it turns out, I have only 3 different types of NYC Metro Transit tokens of what is a 10 piece "set," if you will. So far, from checking out eBay, I have (my oldests,) the 1953 small dye-cut Y tokens (2x, both in fair at best,) a 1970 large dye-cut Y token and lastly, a 1986 bullseye token.

10. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I have the 1983 Atwood-Coffee Catalogue of U.S. and Canadian Transportation Tokens and the related die varieties catalogue. I believe there is one newer edition from the early nineties, so, while my info is not the most current, hopefully it will be of some benefit.

Including patterns, I see 13 major NYC Transit token varieties, and a total of 28 different counting die varieties. I did not see any NYC Metro Transit tokens listed, but they may be newer than my catalogue. All of the NYC Transit tokens listed in 1983 at values between .35 to 10.00, although quite a few other types of NYC transit tokens listed at 100.00 or more.

If your year ids are correct, the 1953 is NY630AO (6 var.), 16mm, valued at .35. The 1970 token would be NY630AS (4 var.), 23mm, and value is listed at .60. The bullseye token is too new for my reference. Condition is not all that much of a factor.

cush66, if your Honolulu tokens are the 23mm ones, they were worth a couple of bucks in 1983. The 16mm ones listed at .15.

11. cush66

cush66 New Member

Hey CWtokenman: Fortuanately, people here are fanatics on Hawaiiana stuff especially if it is from the Territory of Hawaii time period....I should'nt be giving away my secret huh LOL!! A good example is how many places do you know where common baseball cards sell like hotcakes. It does here if the player is from here. :D

12. Randy Bastyr

Randy Bastyr New Member

I have a Minneapolis and St paul token with a street car on the front and do a bus on the reverse saying. Valid for one vase fare in excellent condition. Any idea of value?

13. Goldee

Goldee Supporter! Supporter

Trading is a possibility. A friend collects marbles and I have a bag. Offered to trade for coins. Her brother collects comics and I have 3 from the 80s. Again I offered to trade. My husband collects toy cars bet he wouldn't miss a few, ha.

14. Andrew HK-coins

Andrew HK-coins Make your own luck.

I have a 1922 Pittsburgh Railways Co. token dated 1922, and it's something I continuously have ignored. I have wondered what it could be worth as well. Glad I came across this.

15. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Hi Randy, I need a little more info to identify your token and provide a value for you. Photos would be great, but even a complete description of any wording would be helpful. Tokens mentioning both Minneapolis & St. Paul should be good for one of the following: "One Student Fare", "One Ride", or "One Tour". None of the listings indicate usage of the word "Valid", so I am not sure what you may have.

16. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Hello Andrew, Your token has only a few possibilites. The determining factor is if the wording is straight or arched.
    If straight, the id is PA765Z, and my 1996 reference valued it at $0.15. There are two varieties of this token.
    If arched, the id is PA998L and is a pattern piece, with no value listed.

Both should be 20mm in diameter, made of brass, and have a triangular cutout in the center.

Andrew HK-coins likes this.
  17. Ethan Stopczynski

Ethan Stopczynski New Member

i have one coin like that too. In one place I saw the coin was worth $22. You should look around though, just in case.

18. Call me...Collect

Call me...Collect New Member

I have 8 milk program tokens from the 1950s and couldn’t find much on the web regarding their value or whether there is any at all. The odd thing I noticed was that while the single token with a daisy symbol in the center was the first image that popped up in a google image search but the 7 that are stamped “elementary school milk program” was not in any of the half dozen pages of results, I wonder if anyone can shed light on these throwbacks

Draft saved Draft deleted