Are these counterfeit?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rlm's cents, Mar 15, 2010.

1. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jmon

jmon Numismatist In Training

I dont know that I would say the are cast's, but, they certainly dont look right to me.

4. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

I an no professional but IMO they have a very clear date while the rest of the coins shows the exact amount of wear on all areas of the coin. Even a old coin has some contrast in wear in high and low spots.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No more comments?

6. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i wouldnt bid on any of them. if they arent fake theyre definately problem coins.

7. chumpchange

chumpchange Junior Member

I am new to collecting and I have never even held one of these coins in my hand, but that won't stop me from offering an opinion. :)

-What are all those little black spots on the obv of the 1871? Are they pits from air bubbles? And what is that 'blob' on the rim above the F on the reverse?

- If I owned these and planned to sell them on ebay, why wouldn't I get them slabbed so I can try and command a premium? The 1850 in the condition he is stating in his description (which is clearly too high) is a $2k coin, no? Why sell it raw?

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

They look like some of the junkier Chinese knock offs.

9. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

I am new to coin collecting, especially American coins which I know almost nothing about. How does it pay anyone to counterfeit a $15 coin?! That is pretty scary. While these coins look kind of blah to me, kind of lifeless, aside from that I don't see much here that would tell me anything. If any of you have the time, I would very much appreciate knowing exactly what diagnostic details you are looking for. What tells you that this coin is a problem?

10. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

yes, they look to be authentic, ask seller for coin wieght?

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

just dont look right!

13. Canerrcoins

Canerrcoins Canadian Eh**

I asked the seller for the weights. Should be interesting.

14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

FAKES!!! cast and badly done at that plus I agree that if they were the Real Mccoy they would be slabed to get the price they are worth.

15. Canerrcoins

Canerrcoins Canadian Eh**

seller says 26.7 for each.

16. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

all fakes and I would never ever buy an expensive coin from a seller with such a low, low, low number of feedback.

17. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Excellent eBayer- highly recommended - AAAAAA+++++++++++ bestxj58 ( 157) Jan-14-10 21:45

Excellent eBayer- highly recommended - AAAAAA+++++++++++ bestxj58 ( 157) Jan-14-10 21:44

I solved the mystery this seller made two PRIVATE auction purchases from a low number feedback Chinese seller not too long ago!!!

18. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I find it funny that it seems that all the money he makes he uses to buy real Morgan Dollars,,, ROTFL!!!

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I would not get too upset about where he got them from, eBay is now on him. They have pulled the auction I had listed.

20. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

This guy doesn't give up easy, now he is selling a U.S. Replica without being stamped copy or replica!

Replica U.S. Dollar

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No later than Sunday, it will be gone. He has been reported - again.

Draft saved Draft deleted