Are most of these Doctored Cents or what??!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by huntsman53, Jan 16, 2009.

1. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Hey Coin Talk Folks,

I was searching through Wheat Cents on eBay this morning and found this Seller's coins! Is it just me or does anyone else agree that 10 out of the 13 Wheat Cents have been Doctored? IMHO, this is not natural toning and is the process of some toning/recoloring solution! It is a shame because this Seller has 100% Feedback and some fairly nice Lincolns. Why would a Seller risk getting Negative Feedbacks just to sell a few Lincoln Cents???!!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/kindasane

Frank

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Frank,
    I am not sure about the doctoring, but that 09 VDB has a nice deep dig in the forehead.

4. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I do not see any unatural toning on these cents at all they look like regular brown circulated coins to me, and they do look legit just my opinion.

Jazz

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

His color balance is off, but they really do not look like they are toning to me. Now, if that 1909 is really red (he says it is), something is not right. If you are really interested, ask.

6. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I may be wrong but most of them just have the look that they have been tampered with. There appeard to be some lighting issues from coin to coin but check out the 1933-D. There is no way that that is natural toning on the Obverse!

Frank

7. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

It looks natural to me. I've never seen artificially toned copper look that brown.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I did and I don't think so. His white balance is way off. I really do not think you can tell much about the true color of his coins.

9. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

I think it has to do with the camera shots that;s why it looks different the obverse to the reverse different lightling ,and could have brought the coin in to photo shop to enhance the detail of the obverse of the 33D

Well as far as toning i see nothing to that nature , and the coin only goes for 99cents why would he bother trying to rip anybody off it don't make sense

All his other coins look like there in a reasonable price range too Frank

Here's a perfect example of how different lighting can trick you from false observations an indian cent of mine 1898 check it out
    Jazz

Attached Files:

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It could be the pics, but I think that most of those coins have been washed. Not that they have been harshly cleaned mind you - just washed.

11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Looks like some amateurish photography to me, a lot of the pictures I first took all came out whacked out like this.

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

They seem alright to me , as GD said maybe soaked in some water , or soapy water .
    rzage

13. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I agree - they all look the same flat brown. And yes I have seen re-colored large cents look like this - dull flat color. I might have to try what Doug mentioned just to see what one would look like. I have some old wheaties around here somewhere. :)

14. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Well, the toning seems alright.. but you cant look at that 26 S and tell me it hasn't been cleaned.
    Definitely something going on there. And I bet an unsuspecting buyer will pay a nice dollar for that one because they have weak strikes.. Confusing the wear for a weak strike.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Get a pair of jeans, put 1 coin in the pocket - no more. Run the jeans through the washing machine as normal. You'll see ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted