Apollo 11 Dollar value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cmbdii, Jun 3, 2005.

1. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

I have this Apollo 11 Dollar from 1969. i believe it's uncirculated since it is nice and crisp. it's real $1 bill with an apollo 11 sticker instead of washington

does this have any value? i can't find any info about it on the web

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whoopig

whoopig New Member

Could you please post a pic? Both sides please. I have an idea what you have but want to see it to confirm it.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy lostboy - Welcome to the Forum !!

What you are describing sounds like a souvenir commemorative struck by a private mint. It's not really a coin. But sometime these were struck in silver. If yours is - then the value would be the silver content - about $7 or $8 if it weighs 1 oz.

5. whoopig

whoopig New Member

I dont think a bill would have silver in it GDJMSP.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

DOH !!! - trying to do 3 things at once again. One of these days I gotta actually slow down and read the question I guess :rolleyes:

7. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

8. whoopig

whoopig New Member

It is just a novelty bill with no real value beyond face. Bills like this are made with everybody from the president to Elvis on them.

9. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Look at the edge of the picture with a strong magnifying glass. The rest of the bill looks too good for one of those specially printed souvenirs, and there may very well be a thin sticker pasted over Washington's face.

10. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

yes there is a sticker, which i knew, didn't i mention that? i think this is more than just souvenir dollar

11. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Okay my friend, I'll bite.

How does cutting out a sticker and placing it over the picture engraved on a dollar bill make the combination into something other than a worthless, tacky souvenir? :confused:

12. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

Please post a pic. It sounds interesting and I would love to see what it looks like.

13. cmbdii

cmbdii New Member

i did post a picture

well i got this from my grandfather back in 69, it looks professional to me. i'll hang on to it just in case :) i think i will take it a coin dealer

14. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

It is what it is - a US dollar bill that has had a a picture pasted over the portrait. They are commonly available even now in various designs. They are novelties that sell for several dollars but ultimately are worth one dollar.

There is a SMALL chance that a special one (like this) for an historic event would have some value to someone interested in space history, for example, but coin/currency collectors would have no interest unless they had a side-interest in coin/currency novelties.

BTW - your local coin dealer is always a good person to get to know, but I would be surpised if the average dealer could give you better information than you could get from the various people on the Forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted