Anything worth looking for - post 1965 Dimes.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by pab, Jun 28, 2005.

1. pab

pab New Member

I have over 100 post 1965 dimes knocking about. Is there anything worth looking for or should I just use them as change next time I visit USA? Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

PAB.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

There are quite a few pretty good clad Roosys. The most valuable would be the
    '82-NMM and this one does show up with some small regularity. There is also a
    really neat '68 DDO. There's also a nice '67 DDO and '70 + '70-D DDR's.

Any of the pre-'81 dates are very difficult to find in really nice XF/AU. If you
    look for these with sharp strikes and full detail about the best you can find is
    VF. Interestingly the late '70's issues can be even tougher than the early clads
    in nice condition. The '78-D stands out as among the toughest.

I haven't paid the dimes the attention they deserve and may have over-looked
    some great coins. I specialize in the clad quarters which have far more varieties.
    For many years the quarters got much more wear than the dimes and the wear
    affected almost all quarters while some dimes escaped getting a lot of wear. In
    more recent years though it seems as though time has really caught up with the
    dimes. Larger percentages of the dimes have been lost or destroyed so despite
    their higher mintage some dates are more difficult to find than the quarters. They
    also have more culls than quarters. Some of this is probably due to the fact they
    are thin enough to use as screwdrivers and more difficult to find if lost. Otherwise
    I can't account for it.

4. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

The 1996-W (offered in Mint Sets) celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Roosevelt dime is worth arounnd $20 to $25 in MS65 condition.

In MS68 condition, values have it over $200.

Draft saved Draft deleted