Anyone have this die chip on 1988 Greek coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

In Athens Greece last week, I found a bunch of coins for sale in the street markets. I probably saw a dozen places selling coins that were simply pre-Euro common coins. Here is one box of coins.
    [​IMG]
    These pre-Euro coins are pretty worthless but they probably give the tourists some fun. I found a couple coin shops but they were a little expensive and I suspect that I would have found something nice if I had invested some more time with them. (I don’t think that they were showing me their best material at first).

There is a Greek coin that was used just before the Euro which has a small die chip on it. (See the die chip at the top of the ship's mast). Does anyone have this 1988 Greek coin with the die chip? It was pretty common in its day so I searched through some of the street coins. I found a couple of these coins containing the die chip & also kept a couple without the chip:
    [​IMG]

I also found this modern Greek commemorative coin that has toning on one side. I suspect it had been stored with one side facing the elements. The reverse is basically bright white with some gold on the perimeter. I think the price was about 7 Euro ($10) over the silver content so it is now in my cache of souvenirs of the trip.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for letting me share. I’m going to the Naugatuck CT coin show this weekend so maybe I’ll have something else to share.

Very best regards,
    collect89

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

I'll have to look through my greeks and get back to you

Draft saved Draft deleted