Any takers on the 5 oz silver national parks "quarters"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Danr, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Danr

Danr Numismatist

These are a major temptation but $500 a year may be just too much. Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I was think the same thing a 5oz 999.9.
    I may buy the 1st one and see how well they sell. I wonder if Ngc & Pcgs will grade them????

4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I wanted to start collecting from the beginning and see how many they were gonna make. However, I learned that we can't buy these coins directly from the Mint...they are to be sold via ASE/AGE bullion outlets and the featured National Park/Monument.

I'm not too keen on someone having the chance to cherrypick the coins before I can buy them. I'm sure someone will correct me by saying..."They don't do THAT!!!"...but I would still like to buy them directly from the Mint.

5. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I won't touch them, except when I'm buying them back of melt to resell for scrap.

I predict very low mintage; probably some initial excitement, and then a quick and ugly death. They won't be making many, but nobody will want them.

6. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

I will collect these. $500 is a small investment for these objects of beauty.
    After watching the new Ken Burns series on PBS, I'd be proud to own them.

7. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

It is no coincidence that the PBS series is coming out before the release of the 5-ounce rounds.

8. Art

Art Numismatist?

I'm planning to get one of each. Not sure where the $100 price idea comes from. I guess they'll be more than that.

9. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

we can only buy it from a dealer. that is bad. i won't buy from them.

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

No. It's a cruel joke, not a coin.

11. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I guess that there are no proof versions of these. I know a dealer who is a serious straight shooter so I can get them there if the price is not crazy

12. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

They are going to be the size of hockey pucks.

Where will you store them?

13. chip

chip Novice collector

exactly right, and what others said goes double for me!!

14. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

15. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

I agree. This is the only downside. My local dealer is a mean, nasty old man who will take the shirt off your back if you let him. So much for standard pricing....lol. Honest delar is an oxymoron in my neighborhood.

16. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Very true. I'm thinking $125ish.
    You gotta figure spot + $40 premium.
    With silver at $16 a ounce x 5= $80 + $40 = $120.

17. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I'm in for a roll of each ;)

18. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

My wife wanted me to collect these when they start. I too think the Ken Burns series release on the National Parks and the one on the Great Lodges is definitely a planned event. I have to say it has made me more enthusuastic about it.

I think they are just as much a coin as an ASE really. Also the pictures of the first ones I have seen look good to me. I think they will even look better on these big three inch coins.

The only downside to me is the way they are being sold. I wasn't aware of the fact the mint wouldn't be selling these directly. That part I certainly don't like to the point I may change my mind.

19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

20. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

National Parks Quarters Numismatic Items

The bill provides for the issuance of numismatic, or coin collectors' versions, of the National Parks State Quarters. The U.S. Mint is authorized to strike collectors' versions of the standard coins in Uncirculated and Proof finishes, plus versions in 90% silver.( I see the words collectors versions and PROOf in There!)

21. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

HEY! I think your dealers brother owns the shop in my area too!. When I ask my local dealer how much a coin is he says "how much you got?"

Draft saved Draft deleted