Any info on 1976 Jefferson $2 uncut sheets?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by jello_g, Dec 30, 2006.

1. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

I just acquired a fresh UNC uncut sheet of 1976 $2 Jefferson banknotes. The sheet is arranged 2 notes across and 8 down (16 notes total). They are series F printed in Atlanta, GA with signatures Francine Neff and William E. Simon(?). Not being a US note collector, this is rather foreign material to me. (All I know is the $2 bill is no longer in circulation and that's the extent of my knowledge!) Can anybody provide some info about this issue and possibly est. value, or perhaps point me in the direction of a standard catalogue which I can look up? Any help appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Is there a * (star) after the serial# ?? If so then there is a premium on the notes. If not..they are pretty common and were sold through the BEP. Maximum value is 2 times face or $4 ea

Always worth the 2$ they are printed for. I have some myself...

Keep on looking...the Red seal is a nice note to collect..check em out!

RickieB

4. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

THe notes are still printed and are in circulation. They just are not commonly seen.

5. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

Thanks for the info folks, and the correction taurus876. Didn't know these are still being printed. Guess I'll just chop them up and spend them.

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Jello_g,don't get them cut up,as the 1976 is actually the U.S. Bicentenary commemorative issue,as it has the signing of the Declaration of Independence on the back.It is best to put them up on eBay.You will get a buyer,especially a Yank,who will want them.The uncut sheets & pairs are listed in Pick under 'Collector Issues'.

Aidan.

7. wolves69

wolves69 New Member

The 1976 dates are no longer being printed; however, the note is still in circulation and there is a new date with signatures.

If you are selling, I'd agree that ebay would be your best option.

8. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

The two dollar bill can still be found in circulation. The problem with retailers circulating them is the same problem they have circulating the dollar coins, "there is no available space/slot in the cash registers to for these denominations". My bank has crisp new two dollar bills everytime I ask about them. I like putting them into circulation along with the dollar coins. It drives retailers nuts and confuses most young people. I LOVE IT!

If I were you I'd frame the sheet. It would make for a great conversation piece in your home. And who knows your great, great, great grandchildren might get a kick out of it as well.

9. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

Aidan, I'm thinking about eBaying it. Haven't seen many come up, which makes me think they are either rare (unlikely) or so inexpensive that it's not worth the while to spend the time posting (more likely). Seeing how the world really loves the American dollar lately, I can't see anybody other than a "Yank" wanting this collectible. Thanks for mentioning Pick, a resource I should check out to educate myself on what I'm missing for not being an active note collector.

wolves69, thanks for confirming my thoughts. It would be unusual to see notes issued in 1976 still being printed (with the same date) 30+ years hence.

walterallen, I also like putting unusual items into circulation. It my experience, the item doesn't have to be that unusual, as MS coins from broken rolls from years gone by will grab anybody's attention most of the time. I also pass out old $1 nickel voyageur pieces and 50c pieces occassionally, and this is what drives some cashiers nuts ("hey what is this, is it real? call the manager..." type of reaction sometimes from the younger folks). As for framing/keeping, I have enough stuff already to give generations after me plenty to talk about; only if this were truly rare would I make room so it's time to declutter.

Happy new year,
    jello

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

All of the 1976 uncut $2 notes were star notes. The BEP began by selling uncut sheets of $1 notes and when they decided to expand the program into the $2 notes they didn't have any regular production sheets but they did have a large supply of half sheet star notes that had not been needed and which would have been cut up and circulated once the next series date was issued. So they used those for the uncut sales. When the next series was issued then they also offered full sheets of $2.

I would not cut up the sheet. As a collectible the sheet is worth about $45 to $50 dollars. Cut up it is worth $32.

And $2 bills are still in circulation and are still being printed.

11. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

Cleaning up my office and taking photos of items. 1st item was a uncut sheet of 16 1976 D $2 bills. Purchased from BEP; you have to pay extra for the sheet. Current cost for a uncut sheet of 16 is $61.00 U.S. Dollars. The BEP desciption of item is "$2 Notes, 16 Notes Per Sheet, Cardboard Frame [Item Number] 6900 [Price Each U.S. $] 45.00" I wonder if the $45 price was wrong because other items the price for Cardboard Frame was A dollar higher then "Rolled in Tube."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  12. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

Maybe not "all" were star notes.

[​IMG]

13. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

Do not cut the sheet up! You'll never be able to reassemble it. It's a piece of history that you are cutting up. There are a ton of single notes out there. Although sheets are not particularly scarce, a 16 note sheet of star notes is worth about $200 (not considering the rare districts). Far more than the value of the individual notes combined.

14. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted