Any Idea What these are Worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sirkipalot, Nov 12, 2004.

1. sirkipalot

sirkipalot New Member

Well Hi all first timer here so be gentle :)

I have just aquired 1887 MS67 morgan Dollar

and a 1888-O Morgan dollar MS66 Both are in their own packets

they Have Certification numbers on them I am lost please can ya help

Many thanks

Rich

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

Hi Rich. Welcome to the forum. :)

Can you describe the "packets"? Any wording, or company name?

Pictures are best, if you can.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum Rich. I sincerely hope you got extra super-dooper bargains on those coins, because I don't believe that any of the major grading companies would come close to the grades on your AGS slabs.

This respected website provides detailed information on almost two dozen grading companies, from the generally recognized “top four”, all the way to the consensus worst (which we don’t name in polite company). Here’s their information on AGS:
    Chances are very high that this "grading company" is just a ploy by some seller to convince collectors that his/her coins have been graded by a third party. A company that really wants business gets the word out on how to contact it!

I’m far from being the resident expert on Morgan Dollars, but IMHO that cheek rub on the “MS66" would keep it at a significantly lower grade in a major company’s slab, and the other one doesn’t come close to what I'll call for lack of a better term, the “very high grade look”.

Believe it or not Rich, sad to say I'm being much more gentle than I would if your question and pictures had been posted by one of the excellent dealers who belong to this forum. :)

5. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

One of the first areas I look at on a Morgan is the ear area and the hair above it. For instance a MS65 grade would look like:

[​IMG]

Since I don't see that in these coins, I would probably grade them lower...but that's me. So between them, you are looking in the $30 to $45 range/each (tops) provided they haven't been cleaned/dipped which would lower these values further. The prime areas for wear on a Morgan are the cheek on the obverse and the breast feathers on the reverse. the cleaner they are, the stronger the strike, the better the grade.

6. sirkipalot

sirkipalot New Member

Thank you Guys You have saved me being ripped awf. Live and learn Eh?

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

That's what forums like this one are all about. To quote Doug's tagline: Knowledge . . . share it. :)

8. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Any idea what AGS stands for? I can think of a few that would fit.

9. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Allcertifiedcoins.com calls it "American Grading Service".

Draft saved Draft deleted