Another Roman - Gallienus, Antoninianus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AnemicOak, May 27, 2006.

1. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Picked up a Gallienus, Antoninianus today & thought I'd share.

[​IMG]

Attribution: RIC V, Part I, 649

Date: 260-268 AD

Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG; Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right, seen from behind

Reverse: MARS VICTOR; Mars advancing right, round shield in left hand, spear in right
    Palm branch right in exergue

Size: 21mm x 22mm

Weight: 4.01 grams

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Thank you for sharing this beautiful coin.

As you might know, Gallienus was an important emperor during the "third century crisis" of the Roman Empire. His father Valerian had been emperor, until his father was captured by the Persians. This left Gallienus to rule the Empire.

Gallienus was important in fighting off many barbarian invasions, but he was also powerless to stop the empire from falling into near anarchy.

Weaked by many barbarian invasions and internal disputes, the empire split into three empires during his reign: a western or Gallo-roman empire, an eastern or Palmyran empire, and the central core of the old Roman empire. There were also numerous usurpers.

Unfortunately, as was a common fate for Roman emperors during the third century, Gallienus was assasinated by his own troops.

It's amazing that the empire was later reunified (under Aurelian) and lasted for another two centuries.

I'm sorry for my pedantic blather, but the "third century" crisis is my favorite period of Roman history. A very nice coin.

guy

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Lovely coin Brian thanks for sharing it with us :bow: & Bart thanks also for the short history lesson :thumb:

De Orc :bow:

5. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

A nice addition to your growing collection of them thar Romans!

Ian

Draft saved Draft deleted