[Ancients] Top 10 Index Thread (2019)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish) Supporter

I've been keeping track of the various "Top 10" threads because they are some of my favorite threads on the forum and I intend to make sure I go through and read and comment on all of them as I have the time. This year it seems we already have more lists than usual so I thought as a public service I would share my list of links to all the threads in case there are any that readers have missed.

If you are only reading and commenting on the lists with FDC material you are missing out. There are some really interesting coins on all the lists and the collector has often given some background as to why it was selected.

Top 10 Lists (organized from first posted to most recent)

1. @Sulla80

2. @Roman Collector

3. @furryfrog02

4. @Sallent

5. @Bing

6. @CoinBlazer

7. @Roerbakmix

8. @Andres2

9. @panzerman

10. @Parthicus

11. @Clonecommanderavgvsvs

12. @Orfew

13. @Terence Cheesman

14. @Al Kowsky

15. @Orielensis

16. @7Calbrey

17. @Clavdivs

18. @Yorkshire

19. @Michael Stolt

20. @Volodya

21. @nicholasz219

22. @Ancient Aussie

23. @gogili1977

24. @Bob L.

25. @Deacon Ray

26. @AncientJoe

27. @akeady

28. @Orfew

29. @shanxi

30. @Spaniard

31. @Shea19

32. @Curtisimo

33. @Valentinian

34. @Cucumbor

35. @RichardT

36. @Nap

37. @7Calbrey

38. @octavius

39. @TypeCoin971793

40. @rg3

41. @Orielensis

42. @JROMA

43. @Finn235

44. @arnoldoe

45. @Marsman

46. @jb_depew

47. @zumbly

48. @red_spork

49. @Thomas c

50. @Caesar_Augustus

51. @Gary R. Wilson

52. @TIF

53. @Romancollector

54. @Gavin Richardson

55. @rrdenarius

56. @Justin Lee

57. @dougsmit

58. @randygeki

59. @BenSi

60. @zumbly

61. @ValiantKnight

62. @bcuda

63. @Curtisimo

64. @David@PCC

65. @randygeki

66. @chrsmat71

67. @Julius Germanicus

68. @Pavlos

69. @David Atherton

70. @SeptimusT

71. @pprp

72. @1934 Wreath Crown

73. @1934 Wreath Crown

74. @benhur767

75. @Parthicus Maximus

76. @Collect89

77. @FitzNigel

The almost made it challenge
    Since I will be updating the list above periodically as more lists get posted I thought a fun way of keeping this thread relevant for a while might be to post a few of my coins that "almost made it" into my Top 10 but didn't quite make the cut.

Feel free to post your "almost made it" coins as well.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    LaCointessa, BenSi, Sulla80 and 30 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Curtisimo! Looks like I may have missed a top 10 or 2. Time to go back and check them all our again. Even if I have seen them, who would say no to some more awesome coin pictures? :)

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper Supporter

How dare you make me #4, sir. I'm #1in the world. You hear me, #1...

giphy-10.gif

Great list. You have far more patience than I do. Thanks for linking to all of them.

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random nobody...

I’m still waiting on auction results to post, a coin to arrive, as well as good timing to announce one of my favorite acquisitions. :( Otherwise, my top 10 list is ready. :)

6. Sulla80

Sulla80 one coin at a time Supporter

@Curtisimo, Thanks for the public service - the lists are fascinating for the coins and the diversity of interests and collection styles. I would easily have missed many of these threads, and look forward to browsing more. Here's one of my "almost top 10".
    Arsakes XVI and the Third Mithridatic War
    Arsaces XVI drachm Blu1.jpg
    Parthia, Arsakes XVI, AR Drachm, Rhagae mint
    Obv: short-bearded bust left wearing diadem, hair covering ear; single-pellet-ended torque; circular border of pellets
    Rev: beardless archer wearing bashlyk and cloak seated right on throne; empty cloak sleeve ends in pellet reaching well below seat level, holding bow in right hand; no border; five-line Greek inscription = ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΜΕΓΑΛΟΥ ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΘΕΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ ~= “Great King Arsakes, Son of Deified Father, (and) Just
    Ref: Sellwood 30.16

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

Bumping with an almost made it:

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.49 g, 29.0 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD ca. 174-176.
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: MATRI MAGNAE S C, Cybele seated right, holding drum in left hand on left knee; to left and right of throne, lions, seated right.
    Refs: RIC 1663, BMCRE 932-935; Cohen 169; Sear 5281; MIR 25; ERIC II 205.

8. Ryro

Ryro You'll never be lovelier than you are now... Supporter

Holy smokes! Been working so much lately I have missed most of these!
    Thanks a ton for putting em all together the great (ish) one:D

Justin Lee and Curtisimo like this.
  9. Curtisimo

I just edited the OP to add a few threads that have posted since yesterday. If you posted a "Top 10" and don't see it on here post a reply or send me a message and I'll make sure to get it added. This thread will be a work in progress.

Here is one of my "almost made it" coins for 2019

My First ADVENTVS Coin
    Philip_Ant_AD_245.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Philip I the Arab (AD 244-249)
    AR Antoninianus, Rome mint, struck ca. AD 245
    Obv.: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: ADVENTVS AVGG; Philip on horseback left, raising right hand and holding spear
    Ref.: RIC IV 26b

Ex. Savoca 23rd Blue Auction (Aug. 2019)

Fantastic coin Sulla. I love the dark toning. It seems from your top 10 that you really seem to like the dark toned look on silver coins.

Had I not seen the other great examples in your list I would have wondered why this one wasn't on there. That is a great sestertius and Faustina's portrait is in very pleasant style. Nice one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  10. Sulla80

Sulla80 one coin at a time Supporter

Yes, toned silver a plus in my criteria:
    C Postumius Denarius.jpg C. Postumius, AR Denarius, 74 BC
    Obv: Bust of Diana r., bow and quiver over shoulder
    Rev: [C] POSTVMI Hound running r., below spear; TA or AT monogram in exergue
    Ref: Cr-394/1a, Syd-785, Postumia 9.

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

One of the many follis I bought this year, a nice Constans from a lot of 15 , but didn't make it in my top 10:

P1230168.JPG

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Dombes collector Supporter

Excellent idea @Curtisimo, very helpful for us not to forget to looking at some of the member's top-of-the-pops !

I don't think I will put one together myself this year as I've only been adding an awful few new noticeable ancient to my collection. But looking at others wil be rejoycing !!

And just for the pleasure of posting a coin nontheless, and to please members liking toned silver...
    ... here an old ancient of mine

[​IMG]

Q

13. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I feel famous now.

If there is also a list of top 10s of the previous years we could make a list of lists :)

Curtisimo and Roman Collector like this.
  14. Curtisimo

I believe this thread is the first time anyone has attempted to index the top 10 threads unless I missed it or it was done before I joined.

That would be fun though to see the top 10s of the past every so often. If you try and search “top 10” in the search bar it doesn’t seem to work. This is why I thought this would be a useful thread to start :)

If I don’t at least see a Q’s top 3 I am gonna throw a temper tantrum that will make @Sallent ’s gif look tame! :arghh::drowning::bigtears::vomit:

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana Supporter

As usual, Curtis, it seems you know exactly what this board needs. The number of year end lists seems to have more than doubled from last year... and it’s not even the middle of December, and many members haven’t posted their lists yet! Thanks for taking the effort to put this up. :)

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!

Roman Collector and Curtisimo like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning. Supporter

Another Curtisimo GreatIdea™ :).

I wish we had these for every year!

P.S.-- perhaps alphabetical arrangement would be better. I anticipate referring to this list at various points in the future, probably looking for specific members' posts, so alphabetical would be more functional-- especially given the volume of threads we'll have this year! :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  18. Curtisimo

Not a bad idea. I think once everyone’s thread is captured I might rearrange everything alphabetically on my last edit. The arrangement above is mostly a function of the fact I’ve been grabbing the links as I see a new one pop up. I also think it works well in the short term for helping people find the ones they missed. For instance if someone hasn’t been on in a few days they can just look at the bottom of the list for the recent ones.

Great suggestion!

TIF likes this.
  19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Dombes collector Supporter

@Sallent will definitely not be at the top of the list though. He might be very angry !
    And, an angry lawyer, well, IDK....

:D Q

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member Supporter

Searching for 'Top Ten' lists would be easier if we had all used some searchable string in our titles. I know I have used 'Ten Favorites' rather than 'Top Ten' and some of us used a number other than ten (top 5, top 12). It may be too late to correct this for 2018 and before but we should consider how to flag year end list posts in the future.

Curtisimo likes this.
  21. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist Supporter

Last year I started compiling a ‘history of Coin Talk’s Top Ten’ to which I planned on adding links broken down by year. I ave not continued with the project due to a lack of time. However, if people wanted to take a chronological approach, here is the final bit I wrote, with a note of where I left off sifting through CT:

So those are the first ‘top tens,’ but not yet a Top Ten of the year through 2013. Perhaps when the semester is over I will find the time and desire to continue.

But many thanks to @Curtisimo for compiling this year’s into a thread!

Curtisimo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted